Mudguard to fit Lefty fork??

Mattcee
Mattcee Posts: 148
edited November 2016 in MTB buying advice
My Cannondale has the 'Lefty' fork so my usual little front mudguard doesn't fit as I need to wrap the velcro around both legs.
Is there a mudguard that will fit a lefty fork?

Comments

• doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    Assuming the Leftie has a conventional steerer tube I suspect you're going to be stuck with something like this;
    558809?w=637&h=403
  • Pretty much that. I cringe every time I see a lefty. Not that I'm judging it or anything, but it's kinda like seeing a flying saucer. Once I saw one riding with mudguards and wodered how they mount. Googled around a bit and it turns out even this kind of mudguard isn't a guaranteed fit. If I recall correctly, the hole on the lefty is a bit thinner than usual (or thicker, idunno)
    I've also seen pictures of a lefty having a mudguard secured by zip ties. Ghetto AF but functional (as functional as mudguards on a MTB can be, anyways).
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    even this kind of mudguard isn't a guaranteed fit.
    The problem is not so much that the bung doesn't fit in the steerer, but that the mudguard is designed with a gap for the crown at right-angles to the wheel. On a Lefty, the crown (half-crown?) is not at 90° to the wheel, but angled forward.
    I found this out with the missus's bike and it certainly doesn't improve the situation when a mudguard isn't considered a particularly good present in the first place...
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Mattcee
    Looks like I'm out of luck then and will have to fit one of those frame downtube mudguards :(
  • poucher
    poucher Posts: 102
    I use a SKS mudguard with the Lefty quick release adaptor, its on and off in seconds :-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sks+l ... tQQsAQIkgE

More info for you here in this post, pics of my old Jeckyll kitted out :-

viewtopic.php?p=15950410

This will do the job!
  • Mattcee
    Poucher wrote:
    I use a SKS mudguard with the Lefty quick release adaptor, its on and off in seconds :-

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sks+l ... tQQsAQIkgE

More info for you here in this post, pics of my old Jeckyll kitted out :-

viewtopic.php?p=15950410

This will do the job!

Excellent info, thanks!
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Mudhugger now do one for the lefty fork, £35 pound though.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Mudhugger have just released a Lefty-specific guard.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009