Leonard Cohen

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited November 2016 in The cake stop
The voice of my University years - shame he couldn't have lasted longer. He could write a good line or two.

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied
Everybody got this broken feeling
Like their father or their dog just died
Everybody talking to their pockets
Everybody wants a box of chocolates
And a long-stem rose
Everybody knows

Everybody knows, everybody knows
That's how it goes
Everybody knows
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    Now so long, Leonard, it's time that we began
    to laugh and cry and cry and laugh about it all again.
    :(
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon
    Rolf F wrote:
    The voice of my University years - shame he couldn't have lasted longer. He could write a good line or two.
    Indeed, i feel sorry for those that couldn't see past his gravelly voice to the lyrics, but I guess some people only scratch the surface of everything in life
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Never heard of him, when was he popular? 60s?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    noooo .. RIP !

I first heard Leonards music in the film "Natural Born Killers" ... it made the film IMO, the dark brooding lyrics and the music that always hinted of psychopath !

bought so much of his stuff just from watching that film
  • bianchimoon
    Bobbinogs wrote:

But you don't really care for music, do you?

That's a line from one of his songs BTW, not a comment aimed at you :wink: .....
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Spotify is your friend.
  • bianchimoon
    "well Marianne it’s come to this time when we are really so old and our bodies are falling apart and I think I will follow you very soon. Know that I am so close behind you that if you stretch out your hand, I think you can reach mine.

“And you know that I’ve always loved you for your beauty and your wisdom, but I don’t need to say anything more about that because you know all about that. But now, I just want to wish you a very good journey. Goodbye old friend. Endless love, see you down the road.”

Cohen's letter to Marianne, jus before she died a few months ago. A class act
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Bobbinogs wrote:

Look him up, Bob. He was great. And will continue to be so.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bobbinogs wrote:

60's, 70's, 80's - maybe not 90's, noughties, teens. But far more influential than his relatively low profile suggests. There won't be days of mawkish outpourings of grief in the press but he really is up there with the likes of Bowie.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    SWMBO was in tears today when I broke this news to her this morning, she's been a lifelong fan of Leonard since she was a teenager. I've just been out to her car to thaw it out and a Leonard Cohen CD was blaring full pelt on the audio player as per norm. A couple of weeks ago I was driving my wife's car with my 5 year old granddaughter in the back and she asked me to "play track 1 granda" Dance Me To The End Of Love then "track 5 granda" Hallelujah
  • socrates
    socrates Posts: 453
    Way ahead of Bowie IMHO.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    One of my favourite female artists, Jennifer Warnes, released an album of Leonard Cohen songs (Famous Blue Raincoat). I bought it on vinyl many years ago and it was very much one of those albums where you sat and read through the attached lyrics while the record played. Absolutely superb.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    As a child I was lucky that my Dad had a decent taste in music. In the car there was always something good on - Dylan, Johnny Cash, Simon and Garfunkel etc.

The one who stayed with me though was Cohen. Amazing songwriter and poetical lyrics. The beautiful simplicity of those early works - just that gravelly voice and a melancholic guitar.

Hard to pick a favourite. Chelsea Hotel, Take this Longing, Famous Blue Raincoat. So many classics. My old man's favourite was Take This Waltz. Great song.