Getting a cheap spare MTB for winter use?

Jim Lyon
Jim Lyon Posts: 72
edited November 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi,
I'm looking for a second hand, 15 & 1/2", rigid, alloy framed MTB with hydraulically powered disc brakes, front & rear, preferably with a reasonable selection of brake pads available to choose between power & sensitivity, etc. 26" Alloy wheel rims, alloy handlebars & alloy seat stem. A minimum of 21 gears, more is better. My experience of riding MTBs has been limited to Trek & Marin & of the two. Marin frames felt more responsive & lively, & preferable. Can any body recommend a btand & model that would fit these requirements? Any place other than "evil" bay where I might pick one up, what kind of price would I be looking @ ?
I realise that with the relativeyl recent posts on cheap new hardtails somebody is going to suggest I go down that road. While some might favour hard tails. I see them as being neither fish nor fowl. Yes, a fork might calm down the front end, but all that does is allow you to hit the bumps faster & then with no shock on the rear, you're going to end up doing more damage to your spine ! And doctors have stated that, from a medical viewpoint, no rear shock is bad news !
The other thing is that cheap suspension ( front & rear that is cheap because it has no adjustability is really quite terrible unless you're really lucky & just happens to fit your needs- unlikely !
When looking for a customised Marin "Mount Vision", I had a trial ride of the stock set up. just to check out the stock suspension settings & they were pretty terrible ! The spring on the Fox Vanilla R was so stiff as to be vicious. I got that replaced with a 20% softer spring. - The Marin stock forks went up & down & that was the only good thing you could say about them. So I had them replaced with Pace RC36 forks, which had a really good range of settings. They were quite well &balanced with the rear.T£he trouble with a rear shock rebound only had 12 clickers, & sods law is that for dirt I wanted 7 &1/2 clicks & for road 10 & 1/2 clicks. So, while you can get it quite close, I don't like clickers!- Yes, with expensive dialed in suspension you can go fast in the dirt, but the cost is going to be expensive when hammering it. And with that level, I really son't want to abuse it in winter time. Which is what I'm looking for. So I'd rather go for simple rigid light bike, go a bit slower & not abuse a good, expensive bike, during winter!

Cheerds,
Jim

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just get an old hardtail and replace the forks with some carbon ones from Carboncycles or something.

But asking how much will it cost is back to front.
    How much do you want to spend?

As this is the UK and not Utah, waiting for nice dry weather to ride a nice bike is a bit pointless, IMHO. Just ride.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Jim Lyon wrote:
    And doctors have stated that, from a medical viewpoint, no rear shock is bad news !

Can you tell us the names of these doctors please?

Think about steel framed rather than alloy framed.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Christ almighty, just ride your bike and clean it.

They're made to be ridden in 'poor' conditions.
  • Briggo wrote:
    Christ almighty, just ride your bike and clean it.

They're made to be ridden in 'poor' conditions.

Yep, this.

Hoses and brushes are cheaper than bikes! ;)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    FishFish wrote:

that makes no difference
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    You should be letting your legs take the impact anyway - not your spine...

As the others say - ride your normal bike. Better than spending 100s on a new bike. You can buy a lot of chains and rings for the price of a new bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    POAH wrote:
    FishFish wrote:

that makes no difference

It did five or six years ago before alloy frames got more compliant so might be relevant to used bikes.