scott addict

aphill24
aphill24 Posts: 21
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Hi guys, this is on behalf of a friend who has recently bought the scott addict 11 speed 2015 road bike. The groupset is not a compact but has 36 teeth on the front small chainring. Can the front chainring be swapped for a compact set up? ie. 52/39
will the derailleur need changing also? if not I would suppose he could go for a larger rear sprocket with 32 teeth to help get up the hills. the rear mech is a long one to allow this.

This is the downside to going to a shop such as tredz and being a new cyclist not knowing the difference. He is struggling big time on the hills with this set up

Comments

• Bit of a confused post...

A typical "compact" chainset is 50/34 - your friend might have a semi or pro compact 52/36

If he's struggling with hills, a proper compact and a "shorter" cassette would help. You don't say what he currently has but 12-28 is typical for new 11-speed bikes.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Hi Meanredspider, yes sorry i was wrong there. He has a 52/36 and is struggling on the hills big time. Can it be swapped for the compact set up 50/34 ?
  • I suppose it would be cheaper to just change the rear sprocket as there doesn't seem much point spending £70 upwards on the front? The trouble is there are so many hills around here (s wales) he wants to do something
  • Well if it's hilly, get the compact chainset and put the semi compact on here or eBay - for some reason there's a fad to have these things so I'm pretty sure it would sell (especially if it's not much used). Then I'd go shorter on the cassette too - with the compact up front, you probably won't need to change the chain either.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH