Workshop stand

rogerv78
rogerv78 Posts: 61
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Im looking at a workshop stand to use at home and have seen the park tool pcs9 and 10 as that is about my budget and the type of stand I want to use, I just wondered what peoples opinions were on them or if there is an others you could recommend ?

Thanks

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    rogerv78 wrote:
    Im looking at a workshop stand to use at home and have seen the park tool pcs9 and 10 as that is about my budget and the type of stand I want to use, I just wondered what peoples opinions were on them or if there is an others you could recommend ?

Thanks

Me personally, I'd say get yourself something like the ParkTool PRS20. Much more stable and able to work on either side of the bike without having to remove it and rehang, and can be raised or lowered to a convenient height. It's heavy, but it doesn't wobble. Also no problem with working on bikes with carbon seat posts.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/revolution-tune-up-workstand.html

These are pretty good, stable and collapse away well. (You see this one sold by a few retailers like this and re-badged)
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I have a cheapo clamping stand which is good you can spin the top round which is handy at times. I wouldn't say you need to spend out park prices to get a quality stand.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,623
    PCS-10 owner here. Very pleased with it.

I wanted to get something solid and reliable as we have several bikes to maintain and keep clean. The PCS-10 feels extremely robust - it's very heavy and solidly built and seems like it will last a lifetime.

I did consider the PRS20 style recommended above but I'm not sure they are much good if you're working on bikes with mudguards fitted. I should also say that I've had no problems with the PCS-10 clamping on bikes with carbon seat posts.

For me the extra few quid for the 10 over the 9 was worth it for the quick release action which is very easy to use.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I have the PCS-9 and am very happy with it. Built like a tank but folds down to easily fit in a corner. Had it for about 4 years now and is used on 5 bikes - road and mtb. Looks as good as new.

If buying now I'd probably look at the PRS-20 stand as we've now got 2 Canyons with the 'split' carbon seatposts which I wouldn't want to clamp onto. So I ended up buying a cheap post to clamp onto and have to swap it over each time one of these bikes needs some cleaning.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    mfin wrote:
    https://www.edinburghbicycle.com/revolution-tune-up-workstand.html

These are pretty good, stable and collapse away well. (You see this one sold by a few retailers like this and re-badged)

That looks identical to mine. Think I bought it from Ribble 5 or so years ago; £50 I think it was. Pretty much indestructible I think, and folds up neatly when not in use