UCI Track World Cup TV Coverage - Anyway to watch without being there?

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,538
edited November 2016 in Pro race
So, I very much enjoyed the BBC coverage (Saw Eurosport had it to) from Glasgow last Friday and at the weekend, and was getting excited to see the next round coming up this weekend in Apeldoorn, and then the two rounds in February in Cali and LA.

Noticed the BBC said they would not be back until the actual World Championships though in April, but thought Eurosport were bound to be showing it, but seemingly not.

Am I missing the obvious?

Do the UCI show the coverage at all?

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/the-uci-reveals-206-207-uci-track-cycling-world-cup-calendar/
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Daniel B wrote:
    So, I very much enjoyed the BBC coverage (Saw Eurosport had it to) from Glasgow last Friday and at the weekend, and was getting excited to see the next round coming up this weekend in Apeldoorn, and then the two rounds in February in Cali and LA.

Noticed the BBC said they would not be back until the actual World Championships though in April, but thought Eurosport were bound to be showing it, but seemingly not.

Am I missing the obvious?

Probably not

No guarantee of Track World Cups on either ES or Beeb unless they're in the U.K.

For example last season's Workd Cups in Cali & Christchurch weren't shown. Not sure if the HK one in Jan was shown either.

Do the UCI show the coverage at all?

http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/the-uci-reveals-206-207-uci-track-cycling-world-cup-calendar/
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2016
    How bizarre - I didn't watch it because it was in the UK, I watched it because I love cycling, and the vast majority of the events.

It's almost unfathomable that nowhere shows the subsequent rounds when it's on, or even a highlights package - I know it is not up there with Tennis Grand slams, but it would be like it used to be in the 80's where only Wimbledon was screened, and the other 3 you had not a sniff of them.

I have just e-mailed the UCI, expect I will hear nothing though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    How bizarre - I didn't watch it because it was in the UK, I watched it because I love Track cycling, and the vast majority of the events.

It's almost unfathomable that nowhere shows the subsequent rounds when it's on, or even a highlights package - I know it is not up there with Tennis Grand slams, but it would be like it used to be in the 80's where only Wimbledon was screened, and the other 3 you had not a sniff of them.

Welcome to following track cycling
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:
    How bizarre - I didn't watch it because it was in the UK, I watched it because I love Track cycling, and the vast majority of the events.

Welcome to following track cycling

:(
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Eurosport have live coverage on Sunday afternoon.
    NOS not exactly the world's #1 fan of cycling since the Rabobust.
    Looks as if that's all they can be arsed with.

Maybe the UCI will have a feed for Friday and Saturday, which, in theory should be accessible in the UK.
    I'm not going now, so keeping my eyes peeled.

Other than that, it's live Tissot Timing which is better than nowt......................just.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • As in past years, the UCI have a live feed for the last day only, for all the world cup events.
  • daniel_b
    Just the last day, how strange, it's a 3rd of the events, and misses out plenty of thrilling races on the two previous days.

If they can manage the last day, why not just show the other ones, or make it available as an internet feed on a pay per view system - I for one would pay £10\€10.5 to watch the entire weekend - extra revenue for them, I fail to see a downside.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Had a couple of replies from the UCI, this being the best:
    Morning Dan,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately the current TV format of the event does not include a three-day production coverage, although we try to create a “Sunday mix”, including live from Sunday and best moments from the two previous days.

So far there is no plan to implement a daily production on the World Cup, but you will have a full live coverage (evening finals) for the Championships next Spring.

With kind regards,

Laetitia
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Had a couple of replies from the UCI, this being the best:
    Morning Dan,

Thank you for your email.

Unfortunately the current TV format of the event does not include a three-day production coverage, although we try to create a “Sunday mix”, including live from Sunday and best moments from the two previous days.

So far there is no plan to implement a daily production on the World Cup, but you will have a full live coverage (evening finals) for the Championships next Spring.

With kind regards,

Laetitia

At the bottom, you will find the UCI channel's planned coverage for the February World Cups, to be held in the Americas.

http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/News ... eutral.pdf
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.