Prices going up due since Brexit vote?

superkenners
superkenners Posts: 169
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Have been looking at a few upgrades recently and have noticed that prices have been creeping up for lots of cycling items. Ok not prices exactly, but the discount to RRP that online stores offer. Usually 20-30% discounts on the RRP for wheelsets were the norm, but this has been whittled back to 10%. Similarly clothing prices seem to have gone up (or been marked down less.

Obviously the collapse in the British pesata post-Brexit vote should mean higher prices, but effects seem to be a bit faster than I was expecting. Or should I blame it on the Chain Reaction Wiggle merger! And what does this mean for free haribo? Or maybe hiking prices so they can cut them for Christmas?

Anyone else noticed price inflation or am I imagining things?
Allez
Brompton
Krypton
T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......

Comments

• Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Not cycling related, but certainly topic related;
    My local fishing tackle shop owner warned us that most of the major tackle companies were looking to put up their prices by around 10% "imminently", as a direct consequence of Brexit. To use his words "It's just a ****in' excuse."
    It doesn't really matter what the hobby/sport is, they know the majority will continue to pay the prices no matter what, as to most of us a hobby helps us temporarily escape the rigours of real life, and we are very reluctant to give them up.
  • norvernrob
    norvernrob Posts: 1,447
    Have been looking at a few upgrades recently and have noticed that prices have been creeping up for lots of cycling items. Ok not prices exactly, but the discount to RRP that online stores offer. Usually 20-30% discounts on the RRP for wheelsets were the norm, but this has been whittled back to 10%. Similarly clothing prices seem to have gone up (or been marked down less.

Obviously the collapse in the British pesata post-Brexit vote should mean higher prices, but effects seem to be a bit faster than I was expecting. Or should I blame it on the Chain Reaction Wiggle merger! And what does this mean for free haribo? Or maybe hiking prices so they can cut them for Christmas?

Well Wiggle/CRC are currently refusing to accept supplier price increases, so their prices should be no different to usual (for the time being anyway).

Personally I haven't noticed any differences, online prices are always all over the place anyway.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    NorvernRob wrote:

Well Wiggle/CRC are currently refusing to accept supplier price increases, so their prices should be no different to usual (for the time being anyway).

Personally I haven't noticed any differences, online prices are always all over the place anyway.

If I were running a shop I would probably look at ways of making cuts now before waiting for the inevitable price hike so as to ease the blow when it does hit. In this case it just looks like shops are making sure they are covering cost price of items and making sure they are not selling at too big a loss. Especially on items which are not sale items. The effect of the weaker pound and the inflation rate will take a few months to trickle down through suppliers and exports before they are seen in the shops themselves.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Pituophis wrote:
    Not cycling related, but certainly topic related;
    My local fishing tackle shop owner warned us that most of the major tackle companies were looking to put up their prices by around 10% "imminently", as a direct consequence of Brexit. To use his words "It's just a ****in' excuse."
    It doesn't really matter what the hobby/sport is, they know the majority will continue to pay the prices no matter what, as to most of us a hobby helps us temporarily escape the rigours of real life, and we are very reluctant to give them up.

What do you mean, not cycling related. Even Team Sky has fishing supply manufacturer as one of main sponsors.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    I'm currently waiting for an Italian frame which I ordered some months back and the balance will be payable soon, in Euros... so yes, I have noticed the price going up, and up, and up...
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    I'd imagine that Black Friday/Peak shopping (Christmas) and January reductions might also have an impact. Higher prices now mean they can show what a MASSIVE discount they're giving you!
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I'm currently waiting for an Italian frame which I ordered some months back and the balance will be payable soon, in Euros... so yes, I have noticed the price going up, and up, and up...

Glad I bought mine in Nov '15 at 1.4 Euros to the pound. Saved over a grand on uk price... :wink:
  • Pilot Pete wrote:

Glad I bought mine in Nov '15 at 1.4 Euros to the pound. Saved over a grand on uk price... :wink:

Glad I bought mine in 2002
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Pilot Pete wrote:

Wish I'd paid the full amount back then instead of just the deposit!
    The difference between Chorus and Record when I build it I guess!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    wiggle and CRC are not so huge that can say no to price increases forever. There prices have gone up anyone. They buy from a range of supplier i.e who ever has got what they want at a price they are willing to pay. They buy from european suppliers so the exchange rate has hit them anyway. They can't defy gravity forever.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    NorvernRob wrote:

Not even Tesco could get away with that - Wiggle are not as big as Tesco..
  • Pituophis wrote:
    Sound like just another Brexiter who can't face up the idiocy of their actions...
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Pituophis wrote:
    Sound like just another Brexiter who can't face up the idiocy of their actions...

You missed the word "racist" out. I thought that was compulsory?
    Having said that, he does own his own business, so surely he can't be a Brexiter?
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    I noticed 10 speed Ultegra chains went up from £13.99 to £17.95, on both CRC and Wiggle, shortly after the CRC and Wiggle merger, and have been there since. And a lot of other places, Amazon for example, seem to tie their prices to that.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    CRC prices have gone up significantly on some items since Brexit. I bought a Shimano XT 8000 groupset (not bundled) earlier in the year and it cost me £417 the same items would now cost £464. Interesting thing is CRC have increased the RRP prices so the perceived discount looks the same.

Take the brakes: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shim ... prod135839

Earlier in the year they had an RRP of £99.99 and sale price of £64.99 and now they have an RRP of £119.99 and sale price of £74.99.

P
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Pituophis wrote:

Just because someone voted differently to you, does not make them wrong. They voted for their own reasons, not to support your point of view. And labeling anyone that voted for Brexit as racist, xenophobic, a little Englander, stupid etc, is the view of an idiot. Some highly influential and informed minds, including from the world of finance, voted out. :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • philthy3 wrote:
    Some highly influential and informed minds, including from the world of finance, voted out.
    Yes, like 'former commodity broker' Farrage. That it is people like him who wanted the exit, with the Daily Mail and Express doing the cheer-leading, says just about everything that needs to be known about the mindset underlying the Brexit vote. In a word, fascist.

Beyond that, anyone who voted out because they believed the lies of the Brexit mob probably does deserve to be called an idiot...
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 282
    philthy3 wrote:
    Some highly influential and informed minds, including from the world of finance, voted out.
    Yes, like 'former commodity broker' Farrage. That it is people like him who wanted the exit, with the Daily Mail and Express doing the cheer-leading, says just about everything that needs to be known about the mindset underlying the Brexit vote. In a word, fascist.

Beyond that, anyone who voted out because they believed the lies of the Brexit mob probably does deserve to be called an idiot...

No probably about it! Certainly they do
  • Irrespective of the ignorance of the electorate and the stupid nature of the vote itself (it was clear what you were voting against but not clear what you were actually voting for - besides the fantasy promised land that offered something for everyone) I am now resigned to having to pay more for my bike bits without any more money going to the NHS to patch me up when I crash. Bad times.
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......
  • Our French holiday houses are currently booking up for next year not with Brits as was normal, but by Belgians, Dutch and Germans.
    As Euro prices have become 10 - 15% more expensive for Brits, I expect Cornwall is gonna be rammed next year with 'staycationers'.
    Wiggle et al, look cheap now though if you're paid in Euros!
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    105 callipers £23.99 in may ....now £29.99 crc...
  • I bet British manufacturers are rubbing their hands with glee
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles

The ones that don't use metal, oil, any other raw materials or have employees?
    Both of them?
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    philthy3 wrote:

Absolute hogwash. You need to get your bigoted head out of your backside. https://youtu.be/HgM1u9JJKWA Tree hugging cyclists; I s h i t 'em.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    Well a Trump presidency looks like it's going to cause similar effects to the Dollar vs the effects of Brexit on Sterling. So bearing in mind the amount of commodities priced in Dollars might cancel some of the devaluation out. Though looks like the Yen and Euro will shoot up as comparative safe havens. So doesn't help much with your new Shimano or Campag groupset but might if you want Sram!
    So who wins in a competition of who's made the most stupid decision, America or Britain?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    doubt the us decision will help the uk

electing a liar, bigot and self-confessed sex offender generates emotion and concern, but he's limited in what he can really do

more significant is the republican's increased control of both houses, irrespective of what the groper in chief says, he's still got to get legislation passed, he can use executive orders etc., but the courts should kill anything too swivel-eyed

once people are over the shock, it'll be four years of business as usual, the republicans aren't going to let trump damage anything they care about - look how successfully they've blocked obama

whereas brexit is an unknown, there's been a vote, the uk has lost influence and been weakened, but no one knows what happens next, years of uncertainty remain
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • sungod wrote:
    but he's limited in what he can really do

it's what he said he wouldn't do that worries me, i.e. not intervene if a NATO member state were attacked.

IMO this would be the perfect moment for Putin to invade Estonia, Lithuania, etc. In all the confusion, who is really going to stop him? Not the US.

And then from there, Poland is up for grabs, etc. etc...WW3 anyone?