• velogee
    velogee Posts: 133
    Looks perfect for the impending Winter.
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018
  • velogee wrote:
    Looks perfect for the impending Winter.

Indeed

It has little eyelets for fitting Cube's own mudguards, imaginatively named Cubegaurd.

Other wise it will easily take the clip on type guards. With guards it will take 28mm tyres or 32 without the guards.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • I've been considering this as winter bike/year round bike for some time now but kept on getting put off by some minor things.

I thought you could fit 'proper' mudguards but like you say the only ones that fit are the specific Cube ones. Have you tried the Cubeguard mudguards on the bike? How fiddly to fit and effective are they?

Also what is the Syntace X12 thru axle like? At the Cycle Show I noticed that the Attain SL Disc and the whole Cube range does not feature a quick release-style thru axle lever. You need an allen key handy whenever you want to remove the wheel which seems like a right pain.
    "One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

Talk about first world problems."

The_Boy, 13/4/14, Paris-Roubaix 2014 "spoiler" thread
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    BlueDynamo wrote:
    I've been considering this as winter bike/year round bike for some time now but kept on getting put off by some minor things.

I thought you could fit 'proper' mudguards but like you say the only ones that fit are the specific Cube ones. Have you tried the Cubeguard mudguards on the bike? How fiddly to fit and effective are they?

Also what is the Syntace X12 thru axle like? At the Cycle Show I noticed that the Attain SL Disc and the whole Cube range does not feature a quick release-style thru axle lever. You need an allen key handy whenever you want to remove the wheel which seems like a right pain.

The thru axle on these bikes is fantastic. Its just so much easier not having to care about how straight the wheel is when putting it back on. I just carry a small 5mm allen key in my saddle bag. The wheels are also very stiff on the bike.

I dont have the mudguards yet but I have been told they go on, then thats it. No other adjustments needed. Other than the cube guards you would need to use the clip on type guards.

Overall, I am very happy with the bike, especially as they are on sale with chain reaction.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • This is on my "maybe" list for my first road bike, so will be interested to hear how you get on with it :)
  • I've seen some people in the QA section of Chain Reaction Cycles who have been asking about whether the thru axle can be replaced with a QR thru axle. I think it's called a "DT Swiss RWS X-12 Alloy" but I'm not sure if it would fit this bike. I haven't been able to find a fork equivalent.
    "One thing that is worse than Carlton Kirby: people complaining about Carlton Kirby.

• seanorawe
    For the thru axle question I think you can get an adapter to change it to a qr, however having used it I can't see why I would want to change it. The force of disc brakes called for regular adjustments when I was using qr's previously.

@lettingthedaysgoby

I love the bike. Its very light for the type of bike I usually go for. Weight means nothing to me for the riding I do. I also love that it's aluminum. I have a bad back and poor flexibility so I only ever buy endurance bikes, this bike is very much upright but still had a positive feel in the position if that makes sense? It's very stiff and it will make winter riding no problem. I will also be using it for club runs as it's now my only bike. The hydro brakes are amazing and the 105 group is really slick and effortless. It has internal cabling and all cables and outers are jagwire. I wasn't sure about the look of the wheels but I love how they feel on the road. Overall I'm very pleased. Anything else you want to know just ask
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • It's not an actual QR. It's a thru-axle with the added benefit of a QR-style lever which makes it much quicker to remove than having to get an Allen key out when you want to remove the wheel.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-s ... -prod81163

From what I have seen most new disc road bikes with thru axles are being shipped with this lever instead of the standard that Cube are providing.

• seanorawe
    BlueDynamo wrote:
    It's not an actual QR. It's a thru-axle with the added benefit of a QR-style lever which makes it much quicker to remove than having to get an Allen key out when you want to remove the wheel.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/dt-s ... -prod81163

From what I have seen most new disc road bikes with thru axles are being shipped with this lever instead of the standard that Cube are providing.

From reading the questions it seems it will work. Bit pricey though
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • Another question - how is the frame sizing for you? I've read in a couple of places that Cube sizing is a bit conservative and you often need to go up from your usual size/what the Cube chart recommends?
  • seanorawe
    [url][/url]
    Another question - how is the frame sizing for you? I've read in a couple of places that Cube sizing is a bit conservative and you often need to go up from your usual size/what the Cube chart recommends?

According to the CRC rep I spoke to, the older range of cube bikes was like this, however the 2016 range is more in line with your standard frame size.

i normally ride a large or 56 frame, and the attain large 56 suits me perfect. The 58 has only a few mm longer reach and a much larger headtube so I cant see too much difference with the the right stem.

All in all. Im 5ft 10.5 and a 56 is perfect for me
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • kubeism
    kubeism Posts: 30
    Another question - how is the frame sizing for you? I've read in a couple of places that Cube sizing is a bit conservative and you often need to go up from your usual size/what the Cube chart recommends?

I ended up going for a the Attain SL. In CRC they were expecting me to need a 60 as I was a 58 on the Vitus bikes. But the 58 Cube was a very good fit. Possibly may need a slightly longer stem...just 10mm but that will come down to personal preference once I'm used to it
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    That looks nice! Very very tempted to get one myself. Glad to see you'd recommend it. I'm barely 5ft 8 so the 53cm one should fit me just fine, will hopefully order one in the next few days :D
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    I like that
  • courtmed wrote:
    That looks nice! Very very tempted to get one myself. Glad to see you'd recommend it. I'm barely 5ft 8 so the 53cm one should fit me just fine, will hopefully order one in the next few days :D

You can get a similar spec on a cube agree for a bit more cash, but the attain is good for my back. The stack is plentiful
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • courtmed
    courtmed Posts: 164
    seanorawe wrote:
    courtmed wrote:

You can get a similar spec on a cube agree for a bit more cash, but the attain is good for my back. The stack is plentiful

Think I've settled on the Attain GTC Pro, just trying to confirm I'll need the 53cm. Pretty sure at 5ft8 with an inside leg of 28 that'll do me nicely!
  • BlueDynamo wrote:

I have these on the Attain SL Disc I got last month. There are adjustable bits and some wiggle room for tyre sizing, but it's a far cry from the bending and dremel-ing that you'd be doing with decent SKS guards or similar. Very solid in place, though if there's a weak link it's the bridge attachment. The rubber pads were slipping off under tension on mine, so reapplied with superglue and they have been fine. The overall look on the bike is very subtle as they are matt black - I don't know why more companies don't make them this way as it's fantastic! No complaints with keeping the water off, but I haven't been out with other riders to get their opinion on rear spray.
  • spudwebb wrote:
    BlueDynamo wrote:

I have these on the Attain SL Disc I got last month. There are adjustable bits and some wiggle room for tyre sizing, but it's a far cry from the bending and dremel-ing that you'd be doing with decent SKS guards or similar. Very solid in place, though if there's a weak link it's the bridge attachment. The rubber pads were slipping off under tension on mine, so reapplied with superglue and they have been fine. The overall look on the bike is very subtle as they are matt black - I don't know why more companies don't make them this way as it's fantastic! No complaints with keeping the water off, but I haven't been out with other riders to get their opinion on rear spray.

Were they easy enough to attach? i.e Were the instructions clear?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe wrote:
    spudwebb wrote:
    BlueDynamo wrote:

Were they easy enough to attach? i.e Were the instructions clear?

I've binned the instructions unfortunately, but I remember them being pithy but understandable. If Ikea furniture instructions are ok for you then these shouldn't be tricky, though I do have a bike stand to work at it. I'd recommend peeling off the rubbery grips on the bridge before starting and supergluing them back in place. Took me about 30 minutes going carefully, would be 10 minutes doing it again.
  • Sorry to bump this but I'm looking to get the GTC SL Disc (2016) and cannot find any stores with it in stock to test sizing.

58cm or 60cm for 5 foot 11 1/2? 6 foot on a good day.
  • WuMyster wrote:
    Sorry to bump this but I'm looking to get the GTC SL Disc (2016) and cannot find any stores with it in stock to test sizing.

If Cube sizing is anything like any other company, 60cm would be way too big and, in my experience (at 6') 58 is often too big. Of course, it depends somewhat on your body shape.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • WuMyster wrote:
    Sorry to bump this but I'm looking to get the GTC SL Disc (2016) and cannot find any stores with it in stock to test sizing.

If Cube sizing is anything like any other company, 60cm would be way too big and, in my experience (at 6') 58 is often too big. Of course, it depends somewhat on your body shape.

Writing 60 was a mistake. Meant 56 or 58. Most people telling me to go with 56 but then OP says 56 is perfect for him and he's a good inch to inch and a half shorter.

Really annoyed No stores stock both sizes.
  • WuMyster wrote:

Im 5ft 10.5 and 5 11 on a good day and have a 32 inseam. I went for the 56 and its a perfect fit. The 58 has only a few mm difference in reach but loads more stack, so the 58 wouldnt have been a huge difference for me. Id say the 60 might be too big for you. But check the cube website for the differences. Google "bike comparator" and put in the sizings for both bikes, and it will give a better idea of the differences.
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe wrote:
    WuMyster wrote:

Im 5ft 10.5 and 5 11 on a good day and have a 32 inseam. I went for the 56 and its a perfect fit. The 58 has only a few mm difference in reach but loads more stack, so the 58 wouldnt have been a huge difference for me. Id say the 60 might be too big for you. But check the cube website for the differences. Google "bike comparator" and put in the sizings for both bikes, and it will give a better idea of the differences.

Apologies, 60cm was a typo. I meant 56cm or 58cm. I'm 5'11.5" but with a 32.5" inseam so being taller by an inch but only 0.5" longer legs, I think 58cm would work better since I have a longer torso? I put in my order for a 58cm last night. Hoping it'll be the right size for me.
  • seanorawe wrote:
    WuMyster wrote:

Thanks for the info. I've gone with the 58. Seeing as 58cm for you is only a few mm more and I'm an inch longer in the torso, 58cm seems right.

I meant to write 56cm or 58cm in my last post not 60cm.
  • WuMyster wrote:
    seanorawe wrote:
    WuMyster wrote:

Thanks for the info. I've gone with the 58. Seeing as 58cm for you is only a few mm more and I'm an inch longer in the torso, 58cm seems right.

58 should be spot on. I absolutely love this bike. Its stiff and very fast. Best bike ive ever owned
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • seanorawe wrote:
    WuMyster wrote:
    seanorawe wrote:
    WuMyster wrote:

58 should be spot on. I absolutely love this bike. Its stiff and very fast. Best bike ive ever owned

Thank you, good to know. I have decided though to take a train to Cambridge from Kings cross to Rutland Cycling to test out the frames. I'm keeping my 58cm order open and should be here on the 30th but if I find that I prefer the 56cm tomorrow then I will take that home with me and return the 58cm!

Ultimately I decided the far commute is worth getting the right bike size.
  • seanorawe wrote:
    Picked her up last night.

Cube attain SL Disc Large 56cm frame
    105 group with Hydraulic disc brakes
    compact 50-34
    11-32 cassette
    Shimano M540 pedals

20160920_190724_zpsjnb3jc1k.jpg

20160920_190737_zpsdiouqxb6.jpg

20160920_190749_zpsg7ozck5c.jpg

20160920_190802_zps3jy8f4hu.jpg

Sorry for bringing this old thread, but im looking to get the same bike as its on offer at £799. Can you tell me if the frame/forks has enough clearance to fit 32 tyres. There are few canal paths around here so im thinking of getting bike which takes bigger tyres or may b a gravel bike. But i really like the look of it and at this price i think its a bragain .
  • Hasilpuri wrote:
    seanorawe wrote:

Sorry for bringing this old thread, but im looking to get the same bike as its on offer at £799. Can you tell me if the frame/forks has enough clearance to fit 32 tyres. There are few canal paths around here so im thinking of getting bike which takes bigger tyres or may b a gravel bike. But i really like the look of it and at this price i think its a bragain .

I have the GTC version of this bike (same geometry I believe) and 28 will work but it's fairly tight. 32s wont fit.
  • seanorawe
    You might get a 32 on the rear as there is loads of clearance. It definitely wont fit on the front. Go for 28s but if you are getting the mudgaurds , you may need to settle for 25's
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0