1 X help :-)

JGTR
JGTR Posts: 1,404
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Looking at going 1 x 10 with Sunrace cassette (same price as decent expander gear) and 32T narrow wide. I'm worried about the chainline as the NW ring will be replacing my outer ring at the front and it will be quite a stretch for the chain.

Can I adjust my chain line using spacers? Do I need to?

B1A491E9-5104-45AF-9444-9BEA6EDF07EF_zpsysunz7fp.jpg

Comments

• Is the chainset a twin ring setup ? If so it shouldn't be a problem. I used a one up components nw ring and they come with 2mm spacers to adjust the chain line . Mainly others seem to do the same or just get some washers
  • JGTR
    Yes it's a twin I think, came standard with a 2 x front rings but there is also a bash guard fitted where a 3rd ring could maybe go??

I had a look at the One Up ring and it seems the spacers are mainly to allow you to use standard chain ring bolts and not to actually move the chain ring inboard??
  • JGTR
    Soz you are correct, spacers adjust chain line
  • What chainset is it ? And what bike is it ?
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    So if it is a double and a bash guard then you are planning to put the nw in the centre of the three? You have the option of adjusting the chain line with spacers but also by putting the nw on the first , second or third position where the original chain rings / bash were.

Keep the front mech on and adjust the LR screws as a basic retention but with a type two (clutch) mech you will not need any more and there will be people who say the NW is sufficient to prevent the chain coming off under most circumstances - even if you fall into a volcano full of hydrogen bombs which happens quite often.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish
    ...and you should not be putting gears and stuff on your kitchen worksurface.

• JGTR
    Bike has X9 groupset but crank only has Truative printed on it?

I was planning to put the NW on the centre (2nd up) as this is where the current 36T ring is and a NW won't fit the 1st position. I have a clutch derailleur so wasn't going to bother with a chain device.
  • JGTR
    FishFish wrote:
    ...and you should not be putting gears and stuff on your kitchen worksurface.

Ssssshhhhhhh.....don't tell the wife, my garage is f'n freezing tonight :lol:
  • JGTR
    You have the option of adjusting the chain line with spacers

I meant the plastic spacers on the crank to move the whole thing across, not on the chain ring bolts....or is that what you meant?
  • FishFish
    ...sorry for the delay in replying as I was in my heated garage. Yes - the 2.5mm spacers usually two on one side of the bb shell and one on the other. Removing one will shift the chain line by 2.5mm. More if you forget to put the cranks back.

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As you have a triple crank, just use the perfect chainline middle location!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.