OT: free pallets in Kingston

london-red
london-red Posts: 1,266
edited November 2016 in Commuting chat
Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know where I could get my hands on some free pallets in or near Kingston? Need four of them to build a cheap and cheerful composting bin :lol:

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Well people buy them for a tenner - so you'll be lucky...
  • london-red
    Really?? Crazy talk.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Once upon a time we didn't pay close attention to where our pallets were going.

Once upon a time we noticed that the delivery drivers were advertising their Florida holiday villas for hire on the works notice board.

We now keep track.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    I'm driving to work tomorrow so I'll see if we have any that are going spare.
  • london-red
    Fenix wrote:

From what I can tell, they all ended up at our allotment...
    Veronese68 wrote:

Cheers fella.

There's some being offered in Epsom & Sunbury, but was hoping for a more carbon-friendly solution!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    London-Red wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Veronese68 wrote:

Cheers fella.

There's some being offered in Epsom & Sunbury, but was hoping for a more carbon-friendly solution!

I've got four or five stacked next to the house, in Walton. I was planning on cutting them up for kindling, but you are welcome to them. I'll take a pick this evening as they are of different sizes and states of decay.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • london-red
    Asprilla wrote:
    London-Red wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Veronese68 wrote:

Cheers fella.

I've got four or five stacked next to the house, in Walton. I was planning on cutting them up for kindling, but you are welcome to them. I'll take a pick this evening as they are of different sizes and states of decay.

Lovely stuff. If they aren't completely falling apart, I'll take you up on that offer :D

Cheers.
  • asprilla
    London-Red wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    London-Red wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Veronese68 wrote:

Cheers fella.

Lovely stuff. If they aren't completely falling apart, I'll take you up on that offer :D

Cheers.

Excellent. I'll assess this evening and PM you, maybe send some pictures and you can decide.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • london-red
    Nice one, thanks.
  • veronese68
    Presumably you want similar wood in terms of size and colour so it doesn't look like it belongs in my house.
  • london-red
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Presumably you want similar wood in terms of size and colour so it doesn't look like it belongs in my house.

Equal size would be good, colour isn't important!
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I have around 40 in Long Ditton. Mostly using them for firewood, but they'll never all get used up, and I get 2-3 each month, so you and anyone else would be free to take their pick :)
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • london-red
    Mattsaw wrote:
    I have around 40 in Long Ditton. Mostly using them for firewood, but they'll never all get used up, and I get 2-3 each month, so you and anyone else would be free to take their pick :)

I'm beginning to feel like a pallet tart now, but that's even closer to me than Asprilla :lol: Any chance I could pop round tonight?

And, where the hell do you keep 40 pallets :shock:
  • mattsaw
    I have an understanding wife :)

I'm about to leave for home now, I should be there at around 5.30, I'll drop you a PM with my address
    Strava
  • london-red
    Thanks guys for all the offers and messages on this - my BikeRadar PMs don't seem to be working at all, with messages getting stuck in the outbox, so sorry if you PM'd to no reply!

I'm going to swing by Matt's tonight :D

Asprilla & Anonymous - thanks a lot for the offer!!
  • veronese68
    Blimey, 40 pallets would fill my garden.
  • asprilla
    Damn it, now I'll have to ignore them for another three years.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Mattsaw wrote:

dont you find they spit like crazy?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • mattsaw
    edited November 2016
    itboffin wrote:
    Mattsaw wrote:

dont you find they spit like crazy?

I think the better constructed ones tend to, possibly as they are treated with something.

The cheaper ones tend to burn well and I don't notice much of a difference between them and any other firewood.

Anyway, last night I discovered that you can swap pallets for beer, so in light of Brexit and Trump I'm now using them as currency :)

Thanks London-Red, not expected, but much appreciated nonetheless. :D
    Strava
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    London-Red wrote:
    Thanks guys for all the offers and messages on this - my BikeRadar PMs don't seem to be working at all, with messages getting stuck in the outbox, so sorry if you PM'd to no reply!

PMs stay in your outbox until they are read by the recipient.
  • london-red
    Right, didn't realise that about the Outbox...

Thanks for the pallets Matt - already dumped on the allotment, just need to complete the construction now!

So, if anyone does need some free pallets to construct a shabby chic coffee table, or whatever, Matt's your man :D
  • mattsaw
    No problem at all. Let me know how you get on with putting it all together.

If you do need a base in the end I'll happily donate some more :)
    Strava
  • London-Red wrote:
    Asprilla & Anonymous - thanks a lot for the offer!!

Hmmm... now that means I need deal with it, where do you get £10 for them?
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.