Canyon Integrated Bar/Stem - Top Cap

Big Red
Big Red Posts: 19
edited November 2016 in Workshop
My Canyon Aeroad came with a one piece bar and stem. When I ordered it I thought I'd probably end up changing it because the position isn't 100% right.

If I swap it for a more conventional separate bar and stem (1.25 inch...) what else do I need to change? The spacers, top cap and headset (bit on top of frame, at the bottom of spacers) are all non round. Presumably I need to change all these as well? If so, do I need to get a specific set, or will any 1.25 inch set do?

Thanks

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,582
    the spacer may not be round externally, but inside it the steerer tube is going to be round, so i'd think you can keep the spacer as long as the new stem has same/lower stack height (if it's lower, just add a round spacer under/over the stem)

headset etc. should be fine as is, just get a new top cap
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Big Red
    Thanks sungod. Sounds like it's much simpler than I thought since it's just a new top cap. Can I use just any (round) top cap?

The current set up looks like this:
    1435143684154-t0d4a7xc8rff-960-540.jpg
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,582
    i suggest do some investigation, you should be able to remove the current top cap without disturbing anything

the next bit looks like a simple shaped spacer, probably will just slide off

under there i'd bet you'll find the circular steerer tub sticking out

once you know what's there, you can start planning...

if you change the stem you'll have steerer tube sticking out the top (like at present), you can either add spacers or take out the bung from the steerer, cut it down, refit bung etc.
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    What a shame to have to change - that looks really nice as it is.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    I ve both set-ups for my daughters Aeroad, Canyon UK can get all the stuff you need for a conventional set-up, ask for a guy called Alex - otherwise you d need a round top cap for a 1 1/4 stem/steerer.

the parts are very cheap and the UK had them in stock apart from the lower bearing cap, which took about a week to get from Germany.
    Her set up went from normal to one piece, but because she is doing a few TT's with clip ons at mo, we ve yet to fit the aero bar.

If you go conventional, would you want to sell the out front garmin mount ?
  • Big Red
    Thanks for the tips. I've been trying to get an answer from Canyon for a few days, hopefully they'll get back to me today and I can just get the bits from them. Otherwise I'll probably just go and speak to Giant since they have 1.25 inch steerers.

Lookyhere, I'm not 100% certain whether I'll sell the one piece yet since I only really need to shorten the reach by about a centimeter to be spot on. I just got the Garmin mount from Canyon, you can get them here: https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/accessories/#category=accessories&subcat=2719&id=58004

Similar to your daughter I'm thinking of branching out from my usual road races to a few TTs, so round bars are needed to fit the extensions. I do love the look of these bars, but they are so much less practical!
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    hey cheers for link, i didnt realise they did one!

one think i didnt say yesterday was the centre bolt for the top cap that screws into steerer bung (to preload bearings) is tiny, so a normal Giant one would nt fit into the bung.
  • @Bigred - This may be a long shot but I don't suppose you still have the spacers & top cap for the H11 Aerocockpit that I could buy off you?

If you do could you please send me an email at nicks_77@me.com or send me a txt on 07595971540.

Many Thanks
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    deero83 wrote:
    @Bigred - This may be a long shot but I don't suppose you still have the spacers & top cap for the H11 Aerocockpit that I could buy off you?

If you do could you please send me an email at nicks_77@me.com or send me a txt on 07595971540.

Many Thanks

If you contact Canyon UK, they can provide you all you need.
    i think the various spacers (2.5mm 5mm and 8mm) the top cap and bolt, plus the top bearing cap are about £20 in total.

i spoke nicely to the guys there and they sent me everything i needed FOC but i had bought a bike from them.
  • Hi @Big Red! Hope you are doing fine.

Where you able to do what you were trying? Im also looking to do so.

@Lookyhere Im also trying to set up my Aeroad for an IronMan, what set up do you have for your doaughters bike?

Thanks!!

Frantona