Cateye

thebikeboy16
thebikeboy16 Posts: 108
edited November 2016 in Road general
I have changed the batteries for two and neither work. I really can't afford to buy new lights, what with the never-ending cost of cycling, and cycling without lights is not an option. Has anyone else had problems with Cateye?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Duff batteries? Not a lot of detail on here tbh.

You can get plenty of cheap lights though. Maybe USB charging would suit? Are they to see with or be seen?
  • Not duff. I don't know the exact Cateye. They are rear lights. Not sure about USB charging.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not sure what to say then.

Smart half watts are under a tenner though.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hard to say what the fault is without a voltmeter. If you think the batteries are good and the unit is duff and is under a year old then take it back where you bought it and see if you can get a replacement, etc. Failing that, as suggested by Cougie there are some very good cheap options out there.
  • spam02
    spam02 Posts: 178
    cougie wrote:
    Not sure what to say then.

Smart half watts are under a tenner though.

As above, Smart lights are good budget lights. Ribble currently have the 1watt reduced to £6.59 (plus £1.99 p&p).
  • rnath
    rnath Posts: 176
    Have you tried scratching the battery contacts in the light, could just be oxidized?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Does that work in the dark as well?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    check the polarity of the batteries
    clean the contacts
    use known batteries
    put it together
    Make sure its tightly done up
    Make sure you remember how to use the lights, ie, when was the last time you used them, do you remember you need to touble tap to turn on, or hold the button down
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Nope, my cateye holy hand grenade rear light is still going strong after 9 years, multiple soakings and being bounced down the road twice. It's outlived about 5 sets of rechargeable batteries in that time.

Coincidentally I was considering getting a couple of the Smart rears as backup; need to compare Ribble and PX offers...
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    keef66 wrote:
    Nope, my cateye holy hand grenade rear light is still going strong after 9 years, multiple soakings and being bounced down the road twice. It's outlived about 5 sets of rechargeable batteries in that time.

Coincidentally I was considering getting a couple of the Smart rears as backup; need to compare Ribble and PX offers...
    Also have the same cateye, but only for six years. I think it's indestructible!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Bloody hand grenade. Drop it off acliff or something and get a smart light its a tenth of the weight and loads brighter. It won't out live you though...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,431
    I can vouch for the Smart as a cheap option. Here's a double:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMART-LUNAR-R ... SwQoFWOcca

I have 3 - two on my winter bike and one on my summer bike. Used them for some 5 years. One came off when I hit a pothole. The bracket snapped and the light bounced down the road but still worked.

Now Smart are doing re-chargeable USB one's:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SMART-USB-REC ... SwGvhUK752
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • froze
    froze Posts: 203
    I've had huge success with Cateye, in fact I had a Cateye LD600 for about 15 years and was working fine until a set of batteries I got from Rayovac blew and corroded inside the light.

I can't recall ever even hearing on any forum or review of issues with Cateye lights.

I did have issues with a couple of the Cateye original wireless computers with the sending units dying after about 3 years. The first one lasted 2 years and Cateye replaced for free even though it was a year outside it's warranty, that one died about 2 years later so I got a newer version and that one lasted about 3 years, at that point I gave up on Cateye and bought brand (i can't recall the brand right this moment) and that sending unit died after about 2 years as well, not much luck with wireless computers. I currently have a VDO Z wireless and so far 3 years later it still works; I wasn't going to buy another wireless but that one had a built in HRM and a included watch band so I figured when the sending unit fails I'll just wear it as an HRM watch! and besides the price was crazy good, originally $220 for just $45!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    froze wrote:
    I can't recall ever even hearing on any forum or review of issues with Cateye lights.

Not even the 'Nima'?

But yeah, would say (apart from Nima), that they are reliable.

Only really got into them when Volts and Rapid X's appeared, but still have a Hand Grenade too.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,431
    froze wrote:
    I've ... not much luck with wireless computers.

If you are like me and don't want/need a Garmin/Sat Nav device, I can recommend the Sigma Sport 16.12 STS cad. Excellent little device. Approx. £40, if you shop around a little.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!