Turbo Question

Just wondered with a turbo trainer can you measure the distance using a garmin 810, I have a heart monitor and cadence?

And how do you do it?

Thinking of getting trainer road or similar but wondered if I can use it without if I wish, haven't got one yet just trying to see what I can do. Decided against the rollers as for me it's an accident waiting to happen lol
Jamis Xenith Endura Sport 2012
Boardman Race 2013
Genesis Equilibrium 2014 (Built myself)
Boardman Comp MTB 2016

Comments

• Yes,you need an ANT+ speed sensor such as the one Garmin makes
  • So guessing you plug in the ant stick and it just works
    Boardman Race 2013
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    I can tell you how far you will cycle free of charge. The answer is zero miles as it is a static trainer.
  • That is certainly true enough, I've noticed on strava people are able to record a distance using zwift etc :)
    Boardman Race 2013
    Boardman Comp MTB 2016
  • Yeah, you just need a speed sensor of some description. What is measuring your cadence at the moment? If you're using a Garmin 810, did it come with a Garmin GSC-10:

71N%2BHCSjbgL._SY450_.jpg

If so, all you need is a wheel magnet to pick up the wheel speed and you're sorted. If not you just need something like this to give you speed:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-010-12103-00-Bike-Speed-Sensor/dp/B00JLMS848/

And yeah, an ANT+ dongle should hook up all these sensors without too many issues. If in doubt, check out the TrainerRoad help pages, they're pretty good.

Edited to add: I'll just add the mandatory caveat that distance and speed on a trainer are fairly meaningless; for me and my trainer setup, it's waaaay short (maybe 60-75%) of the equivalent outside distance on rolling terrain at a given effort. You're better off looking at time, TSS or kJ.