Make money from Strava, Etc.

iPete
iPete Posts: 6,076
edited November 2016 in Commuting chat
My other half just sent me Bounts. Apparently you earn gifts/vouchers for proving you've worked out, might be worth a look..
https://www.bounts.it/how-it-works/

Need to do the maths later but as pro-mmuters it could be a way to easy gift cards, only need to sync with Strava. Then again, I got naff all points from my first ride (10).

p.s. obligatory referral link :lol:

Comments

• wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I've joined as well using the MSE code for an extra 700 points, but not sure quite how much use it will actually be though - and it adds another app/source knowing where I live and work - all that data, going somewhere!

In terms of points:
    Garmin & Strava both equate to 5 points for:
    <p>Qualifying Activity: 20 minutes of swimming, running or cycling above 4 km/h average speed.</p>
    <p>Note: there must be a minimum of 1 hour between every 20 minutes of tracked exercise.</p>

Therefore max you will ever achieve per commute is 5 points.

And you need 1500 for £5, so 150 days riding for a fiver (on the free level membership)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • So assuming you have 5 weeks holiday and commute every day for a year you would have 2350 points - can you give me an idea what i could trade that for?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    So assuming you have 5 weeks holiday and commute every day for a year you would have 2350 points - can you give me an idea what i could trade that for?

From looking earlier I think you'd be 500 short of a £10 voucher.

I didn't think this would stack up well. Does going pro/pro+ significantly increase the points?!
  • wolfsbane2k
    iPete wrote:
    So assuming you have 5 weeks holiday and commute every day for a year you would have 2350 points - can you give me an idea what i could trade that for?

From looking earlier I think you'd be 500 short of a £10 voucher.

I didn't think this would stack up well. Does going pro/pro+ significantly increase the points?!
    MSE wrote:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/deals-hunter/2016/01/26/get-paid-to-walk-with-bounts-via-a-fitness-tracker-or-your-phone/ :

If you’re a serious exerciser, for example you hit 14,000 steps five times a week, 7,000 steps twice a week and three gym trips in a week, you’d earn enough points for a £5 voucher in a year (and be 87% on the way to another £5) on the free version, £25 with the £10 a year premium version (so you’re £15 up), and £55 with the £15 a year version – meaning it pays for itself a few times over.

Valuation points:
    1,389 points = £5
    2,778 points = £10

So assuming just the commuting equates to 5 days a week, 2 exercises a day, cycling 47 weeks of the year, you get 14100(£50 points -£10 fee) on premium, 28200 (£100 points -£15 fee) on premium plus.
    And if you walk as well, it will improve the situation
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • I use this, some real numbers below.

I tried it for a couple of weeks and then paid £31.99 for the premium plus subscription for 3 years.

I commute 10 miles each way, twice a day, five days a week. This theoretically gets me 40 points a day plus you get "credits" which let you spin a bizarre wheel of fortune style game where you can win bonus points (usually only 5 points per win but sometimes 10). I used to regularly ride on weekends but not so much anymore so I don't see it going up much in Spring / Summer.

Bounts supports all sorts of activities & apps / websites so if for example you wear a fitness tracker you can also get points each day for that (should you meet the minimum number of steps requirement).

I signed up on 25/09/2015 and upgraded to premium on 15/10/2015, since then (in 4 months) I've amassed 4500 points (approx. 1125 per month).

To put that into perspective, a £15 Sainsbury's gift card currently costs 4054 points, so to make my £32 back that equates to 32 / 15 * 4054 / 1125 = 7.69 months, meaning the following 28 months will be "free".

I alluded to the fact the gift card currently costs 4054 points for a £15 card - this is not a nice round number so I wouldn't be at all surprised if this increases over time (making the paid, premium subscription less desirable), especially if it takes off.

The website links to Strava however I find you do need to log into bounts and manually "sync" your strava account to pull in the activities and receive your points. I don't always upload my rides to strava each day, sometimes not until two or three days later. I only log into bounts maybe once a week to sync and have recently noticed it is no longer pulling in all of my activities - some days I am only receiving the points for one of my two commutes. Not sure why, should really contact their support as I'm being diddled!
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • wolfsbane2k
    PorlyWorly wrote:
    I use this, some real numbers below.
    <snip>
    The website links to Strava however I find you do need to log into bounts and manually "sync" your strava account to pull in the activities and receive your points. I don't always upload my rides to strava each day, sometimes not until two or three days later. I only log into bounts maybe once a week to sync and have recently noticed it is no longer pulling in all of my activities - some days I am only receiving the points for one of my two commutes. Not sure why, should really contact their support as I'm being diddled!

Cheers for those values, useful!
    The strava/garmin thing does worry me, since by default I sync my edge 705 every 2 weeks ( aka when it needs a charge).
    They have added a statement to the FAQ for strava/garmin to ensure that you upload ASAP otherwise you won't get the points - I guess they were loosing too much money that way!
  • Update on this, I've not logged into the bounts website for ages and it transpires the activities do not automatically interface into bounts from Strava and when you manually hit the sync button it only goes back a week or two so I've effectively lost several weeks worth of points.

I paid for three years up front (£31.99) and I've already made my money back in year 1 (in supermarket vouchers) so not the end of the world but still irritating nonetheless...
    First love - Genesis Equilibrium 20
    Dirty - Forme Calver CX Sport
    Quickie - Scott CR1 SL HMX
    Notable ex's - Kinesis Crosslight, Specialized Tricross
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    Do your rides have to be public, not private, does anyone know?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    There was something about Bounts on MSE this week - a radical change to the plan as it had proved more popular than planned - so rewards have been slashed. Best have a look on there.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,142
    PorlyWorly wrote:
    Update on this, I've not logged into the bounts website for ages and it transpires the activities do not automatically interface into bounts from Strava and when you manually hit the sync button it only goes back a week or two so I've effectively lost several weeks worth of points.

I paid for three years up front (£31.99) and I've already made my money back in year 1 (in supermarket vouchers) so not the end of the world but still irritating nonetheless...
    I joined earlier in the year as a free member. The non automatic syncing is a pain and I've only just noticed that it only goes back 7 days when you sync with Strava.

I haven't had enough points for anything, and it seems you can only get vouchers now by entering draws for them so I probably never will. It's not cost me anything though, so I've not lost anything.

I've also joined Running Heroes/Cycling Heroes which is a similar thing, but again I've not managed to get anything out of it yet.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I think this basically turned out to be a pyramid scheme, if you were in early enough you could make your money back plus a bit, but if you did the free option, or joined late you got nothing.

I've been a free member since the start, I've got thousands of points but there's nothing ever in stock.

Oddly there was some love2shop vouchers the other day, but the site crashed every time I tried to place an order.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Fenix wrote:
    There was something about Bounts on MSE this week - a radical change to the plan as it had proved more popular than planned - so rewards have been slashed. Best have a look on there.

Yeah this was it... http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/bounts

Fortunately I got a voucher a few months ago (and I was on the free membership!). Looks as though that's going to be harder to do now - with all the "Challenges" thing which only allows you into a prize draw if you succeed.
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava