good shops

Twisted74
Twisted74 Posts: 14
edited November 2016 in MTB buying advice
hi all, having had a bad experience with halfords wheres good to bike shop ? as a beginner a bricks and mortar shop would be best for me as im not sure on size, manchester/stockport area if possible. thanks guys

Comments

• just out of interest what problems did you have with halfords ? halford stores are very much hit and miss as some have great staff and customer service and other stores don't know jack shit.
  • after 15 minutes waiting for someone first question.... what size frame is the bike on show ? answer was im not too sure probably 20", second question.... do you have this bike in stock ? answer was probably not. ok so what size frame would be best for me ? his reply was what ever feels good.....at this point i had to walk out of the store.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on what sort of bike you want, and how much you want to spend.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • 400-500 ish was looking at the voodoo bizango ive missed the deal thanks to the muppets at halfords
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Twisted74 wrote:
    what size frame is the bike on show ?
    Would be written on the seat tube, did you look?
    Twisted74 wrote:
    do you have this bike in stock ? .
    Until you know if its what you want, him checking would be pointless, nearly all bikes are ordered in as they can't carry every model in every size.
    Twisted74 wrote:
    so what size frame would be best for me ? his reply was what ever feels good
    Is a good answer.

Looks like you have a keeper there!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Although a newbie might want a starting point to try out. That's when a good retail assistant would take an obvious any studious look at the newbie and say with confidence that they would need an XX" possibly YY" frame. In the process giving an air of authority and implying trustworthiness to the potential customer. It is very much a question of try a bike out for fit and feel but newbies often benefit from a shortcut to that. Besides I remember my first bike purchase (as opposed to one bought in secret by parents as a surprise birthday present). I went around the local shops and looked at what was available. After choosing the bike I got the lbs to judge my size. Tried other models in that range (top end versions of my bottom end road bike) that were in their best guess for size. Then they ordered.my bike in that size. It was sized up based on their knowledge because I had no idea.

That is called good service but behind it is something anyone could do for themselves if there were examples of available sizes, Halfords never.have that. I take the largest sizes most mainstream brands carry and rarely find shops carrying my size in any bike shops. A few larger ones like wheelbase do. So I have to basically choose a bike then guess the size. That I often still leave to the bike shop. Then if it's not right I get the money back and don't take it. Thinking of Evans chain here where you have to.basically order it with a deposit to even try it out. That's just my thinking.

BTW Halfords have had loads of negative threads and comments on cycling.forums. I believe it's really tree case of poorly trained staff or the trained staff not being available. I've had good and bad service at my two nearest Halfords. I've learnt to only bother speaking to a small handful of staff because of the others just know very little or have poor retail service/ experience in cycle retail.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Until you know if its what you want, him checking would be pointless, nearly all bikes are ordered in as they can't carry every model in every size.
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Is a good answer.

hang fire here a minute chap, im the customer hes there getting paid to help newbs like myself not to sit on ass biting his nails
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    May well be, but you want a bike that is good for you, who has the vested interest?

I was just turning what you said through 360 degrees to highlight where you could have been a bit more reasonable as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Is a good answer.

I agree with you "The Rookie"

just like you said , why did he not look at the seat tube !
    also you can not expect a bike shop to keep all bike in stock in all sizes all the time. and the way bike's change from year to year they won't want to keep loads in stock because if they did they could have a problem trying to sell the current model off to make room for the next new model.

and as stated " so what size frame would be best for me ? " this is a personal thing and you would need to have a sit on the bike (as halfords dont do test rides) and see what feels right for your body shape.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Is a good answer.

also you can not expect a bike shop to keep all bike in stock in all sizes all the time. and the way bike's change from year to year they won't want to keep loads in stock because if they did they could have a problem trying to sell the current model off to make room for the next new model.

and as stated " so what size frame would be best for me ? " this is a personal thing and you would need to have a sit on the bike (as halfords dont do test rides) and see what feels right for your body shape.

right ok, i did not know where the frame size was (hence the question). the model that was out was too big so i knew i needed it smaller (hence the question). i know they dont stock all the frame sizes all the time (hence the question). so yea all clear as mud really with body language to match that of a bear with toothache, but thats not what the thread is about is it ?
  • Not all frames have the size marked on them as I found out today when trying to size a Carrera. Had to measure it to see what it was!
    Back on thread, I've bought bikes from a couple of local branches of Cycles UK and they've been helpful and fairly knowledgable.
    I also have a local independent bike shop nearby who are good, so look for one of these local to you.
    It pays to do your own research too, so you know what you are looking for. Try reading MBUK, or other mags (What Mountain Bike has a buyers guide at the back with recommended bikes).
  • Twisted74 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Is a good answer.

right ok, i did not know where the frame size was (hence the question). the model that was out was too big so i knew i needed it smaller (hence the question). i know they dont stock all the frame sizes all the time (hence the question). so yea all clear as mud really with body language to match that of a bear with toothache, but thats not what the thread is about is it ?

well your the one posting for help/advise, and when we do share are thoughts you attacking us so it seems your the bear with the toothache. and as stated buy a what mountain bike mag and have a read, its a great bike mag.
  • Twisted74 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Twisted74 wrote:
    Is a good answer.

well your the one posting for help/advise, and when we do share are thoughts you attacking us so it seems your the bear with the toothache. and as stated buy a what mountain bike mag and have a read, its a great bike mag.

have a read back brother lol and see what i asked advice on, someone asked the question what happened and i told them i thought they were reasonable questions for a newb like myself, but hey ho we live and learn dont we winter........
  • Thanks for the advice on original topic guys, ive learnt to not ask too many questions at least :)