Crank Length

doomanic
doomanic Posts: 238
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
One of the things I have noticed with the Nuke is that I'm clouting the cranks on the floor when pedalling through bombholes and the like. The suspension is set up with 20% sag on the front and 30% on the rear. As I am swapping to a 1x chainset sooner or later I have to opportunity to use shorter cranks, either 170 or 165 instead of the 175s that are on the bike now. What are the implications of doing this?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I doubt you'll notice any difference.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    10mm in ground clearance is nothing!

Use shorter cranks when sensible (short legs to reduce knee articulation for example, or single speeders who need to spin at 250rpm downhill) not to fix a deficiency in your riding skill.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • doomanic
    On my Spesh I clouted the cranks maybe a couple of times in nearly 500 miles this year. I've done 20 miles on the Nuke and clouted them probably 10 times on a route I ride quite a lot. The Nuke's suspension is much more responsive and the BB is lower, this would indicate to me that it's more likely to happen. I'm not sure why you're calling it a skill deficiency? Perhaps if you could explain where the deficiency lies I'd be more receptive to what looks like a snide remark.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As above 10mm is not much, sounds like you need to change the bike setup or the way you ride it unfortunately.
  • The Rookie
    doomanic wrote:
    On my Spesh I clouted the cranks maybe a couple of times in nearly 500 miles this year. I've done 20 miles on the Nuke and clouted them probably 10 times on a route I ride quite a lot. The Nuke's suspension is much more responsive and the BB is lower, this would indicate to me that it's more likely to happen. I'm not sure why you're calling it a skill deficiency? Perhaps if you could explain where the deficiency lies I'd be more receptive to what looks like a snide remark.
    A bike with a lower BB is more likely to get pedal strikes, you need to adjust your riding style to suite, it's a common issue with the latest geo bikes and you need to learn to adapt.

I rode a low BB bike the other day, had two early strikes as I got used to it and not again.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • doomanic
    What changes did you make to your style? I'm finding it hard to refrain from pedalling in places where I could pedal on the Spesh.
  • The Rookie
    Look at the terrain better, spot were strikes are likely and pause so that as you go over that feature the pedals are level even if you are still pedalling.
  • doomanic
    I was doing that by the end but losing speed as a consequence.
  • cooldad
    That's what happens when you stop pedalling.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Well downhillers use 165mm crank length but for general trail riding I wouldn't go below 170mm. As already said above its more about choosing the lines better on the trails to avoid hitting the pedals on anything.

But sometimes you just cant avoid it, done it plenty of times in peak district wacked pedals on rocks and allsorts.
  • doomanic
    cooldad wrote:
    Really? Wow! And there was me thinking you sped up when you stopped pedalling... :roll:
  • cooldad
    My obvious statement was replying to your obvious statement.

It's a matter of timing. Obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • doomanic
    My (clearly less than obvious) point is that I'm having to stop pedalling in areas where previously continued pedalling was not an issue. I guess I'll just have to learn to carry more speed before these places.
  • cooldad
    Your point was obvious, and obviously probably yes.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    doomanic wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    Really? Wow! And there was me thinking you sped up when you stopped pedalling... :roll:

Me too!
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rpaton
    rpaton Posts: 15
    Pedaling can make a difference, sometimes
    with Aaron Gwin
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B3G2U4O7Kk
    ...but not always
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBSXR25jmM0
  • Pumping can help you maintain/increase your speed in places where you don't want to pedal.
    It's a pretty easy technique to apply too.
    It's amazing how much extra speed/distance you can get from it - as the above Aaron Gwin vid shows.
  • The Rookie
    Plus you don't STOP pedalling, you Pause briefly to make sure the cranks are horizontal as you cross a suspect feature, it can take a while to learn to read the ground well.
  • rpaton
    rpaton Posts: 15
    Pumping as explained by Mark Weir
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9cwoQpRUqo
  • doomanic
    Thanks.