Cat 3/4 Stage Races 2017

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited November 2016 in Amateur race
Can anyone recommend some stage races in the UK for Cat 3/4 riders?

I am looking to try to arrange some racing on the mainland for the guys who race in my club which is based in Jersey and am looking for stage races in and around the bottom half of the country (as we will be driving over).

Anyone know of any that take place over a weekend or bank holiday weekend?

Thanks

JesseD
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Ras de Cymru and l'Etape de la Defonce - both in Wales
  • JesseD
    Imposter wrote:

Cheers Imposter, the Ras this year was over 5 days I think which may prove a tad too long for us to travel to and get time off work etc (we are coming from Jersey and a lot of the guys are self-employed), I saw the L'Etape de la Defonce and have emailed the organisers but it looks interesting to say the least.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Tour of Wessex?
  • JesseD
    Is that a stage race or a 3 day sportive, all info I could find on it looks as if its the latter, that said it is interesting.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Tour of Sussex https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... -of-Sussex I think he's planning to go bigger next year too.

https://www.facebook.com/TourOfSussex/p ... =3&theater

Edit: expect to get killed as a 3rd/4th cat as it's a high level 2/3/4 but it's possible Jersey 3rd cats are a large step higher than London 3rd cats so maybe not :lol:
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    JesseD wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Cheers Imposter, the Ras this year was over 5 days I think which may prove a tad too long for us to travel to and get time off work etc (we are coming from Jersey and a lot of the guys are self-employed), I saw the L'Etape de la Defonce and have emailed the organisers but it looks interesting to say the least.

I think there have been teams from Jersey in previous years - or it might have been Guernsey, can't remember. Pretty sure it wasn't Sark.. ;)
  • JesseD
    maryka wrote:
    Tour of Sussex https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/event ... -of-Sussex I think he's planning to go bigger next year too.

https://www.facebook.com/TourOfSussex/p ... =3&theater

Edit: expect to get killed as a 3rd/4th cat as it's a high level 2/3/4 but it's possible Jersey 3rd cats are a large step higher than London 3rd cats so maybe not :lol:

I think we could mix it with CAT 2/3/4 possibly but it would be hard, plus for some of the guys it would be first time racing off island so it may be a step too far, a 3/4 race would be about right for us at the moment as we could be at the pointy end of the race quite a bit.

Standard over here is pretty good to be honest although the Divisional system we have here is different to the UK CAT system, I do think that the general standard in the UK is a little better due to the amount of competition, that said we race pretty much twice a week from April through to September and have a good mixture of flat and fast road races and the hilly ones are all short sharp climbs which seem to be taken flat out, no climb over here is longer than 4-5 mins but average gradient can be between 7-15%. Racing in the UK and France will be a test for us next year but one we are looking forward to.
  • JesseD
    Imposter wrote:
    JesseD wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

I think there have been teams from Jersey in previous years - or it might have been Guernsey, can't remember. Pretty sure it wasn't Sark.. ;)

There may well have been, would need to look back at the old startlists and see if I know anyone who has raced it already.

I dont think there are enough people in Sark to warrent a cycling club :lol:
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    this - l'Etape de la Defonce

its widely regarded by those that race it as being super friendly and very competitive. suits timetriallists/ climbers.