T.J Quick

mavesyn
mavesyn Posts: 23
edited October 2016 in Road general
Hi all
Just brought a TJ Quick road bike, mainly campag equipment, down tube shifters etc.
Built Forest Hill, London.
Has anybody any information, on TJ Quick.
Thanks
Mike.

Comments

• peejay78
    peejay78 Posts: 3,378
    two friends have one, one geared, one track, both purple with white decal, they make totally gorgeous frames.
  • mavesyn
    Thanks Peejay.
    Any idea, wether TJ Quick are still about?
    Mike
  • peejay78
    not still about, no, but certainly bracketed with hobbs of barbican, holdsworth, freddie grubb, witcomb, as london classic lightweight framebuilder from days of yore.
  • Pullman1937
    Pullman1937 Posts: 101
    Just one thing Witcomb are still going!
  • peejay78
    yeah, and if you have a million pounds you could buy one of their vastly and suddenly more expensive new frames.

it's a tragic tale.
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Just one thing Witcomb are still going!

Witcombe here: http://www.witcombcycles.co.uk/
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    mavesyn wrote:
    Hi all
    Just brought a TJ Quick road bike, mainly campag equipment, down tube shifters etc.
    Built Forest Hill, London.
    Has anybody any information, on TJ Quick.
    Thanks
    Mike.
    T(Tommy) Quick had a shop close to Herne Hill station - went there once - a mecca for 'trackies'

I believe he built his own frames, on site at the shop - but was niche supplier for those riding the track at Herne Hill. Quite a character I have been told.

One of his bikes feature here:

http://bikesandbeers.blogspot.com/2007_ ... chive.html
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • PaulRide
    PaulRide Posts: 122
    Their shop on Stanstead Road (borders of Forest Hill and Catford) was just a few hundred yards from where I live. It closed about 8 or 9 years ago I think. It was a bit of a sparse shop but the folks in there were very helpful and friendly. Sadly I never had the cash I'd have needed to treat myself to one of their lovely frames - not that they were expensive, rather that I was (and still am) skint. When they closed, they sold some of their stock to Alf Raper who had just taken over Swift Cycles (also in Forest Hill) from the Moulton fan who used to run it. Alf was willing to build me up a bike with a TJQ frame in 531c and a Daytona groupset for about £450 which would have been a steal, but I had to let that opportunity pass me buy.

I still see TJQuick bikes around London. There's one in British Racing green that gets commuted in from Sidcup along the Old Kent Road, and they appear at Herne Hill as well.
  • mavesyn
    Thanks for all the replies, Mike
  • peejay78 wrote:
    two friends have one, one geared, one track, both purple with white decal, they make totally gorgeous frames.
    I also had a purple Frame in the early 'fifties. It only had TJQ in gold on the down tube, if memory serves. I gave it to the dustman in 1961ish, because I couldn't afford to replace the rear hanger. I purchased it from Jack Baguley, of Cross Street, Stoke Newington for £6.10s.0d. It was recognised by clubmen in the Alpha Café, Epping Road, so it must have been a known clubman. Possibly a BLRC boy. [Leyton Camp League Club, possibly]. UP THE LEAGUE!! . . . those were the days.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,943
    PaulRide wrote:
    Their shop on Stanstead Road (borders of Forest Hill and Catford) was just a few hundred yards from where I live. It closed about 8 or 9 years ago I think. It was a bit of a sparse shop but the folks in there were very helpful and friendly. Sadly I never had the cash I'd have needed to treat myself to one of their lovely frames - not that they were expensive, rather that I was (and still am) skint. When they closed, they sold some of their stock to Alf Raper who had just taken over Swift Cycles (also in Forest Hill) from the Moulton fan who used to run it. Alf was willing to build me up a bike with a TJQ frame in 531c and a Daytona groupset for about £450 which would have been a steal, but I had to let that opportunity pass me buy.

I still see TJQuick bikes around London. There's one in British Racing green that gets commuted in from Sidcup along the Old Kent Road, and they appear at Herne Hill as well.

Was the shop on the south side of Stanstead Road just after the Brockley Rise junction, heading towards Catford?
    I once lived almost opposite if so, and bought two Peugeot MTBs from them in late 1988 / early 1989....