Which Crankset for my S-Works?

cbr shadow
cbr shadow Posts: 21
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
I just bought a 2012 S-Works Venge and need to replace the crankset. Everything on the bike is Dura Ace 7900 right now besides the existing (damaged) S-Works crankset. I'm considering putting Dura-Ace 7900 crankset on it, but not sure if that's the best "value".

My local shop told me they'd recommend the newer Ultegra, since it's cheaper and "much better than Dura Ace 7900". Is this true?
TBH I'm a little hesitant to put Ultegra on there because everything else is Dura Ace and it'd look like I cheaped out on the crankset. Like a Lamborghini with honda wheels? Is this just dumb?

It's needs 10-Speed and I want 170mm or 172mm cranks on it. What would you go with?

Thanks!

Comments

• trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    What kind of damage does the S-works crankset have ?

If your not aware there have been some reports of 6800 crank arm failures. So ''much better'' could be debated.
    viewtopic.php?t=13064693

https://carlinthecyclist.com/2016/09/13 ... eed-crank/

Nobody (except you) will care what logo is on your crank. Anybody who does will probably first look down at your bike for running an out of date groupset. :) jk

What price are you paying for the 7900 crankset ? a quick glance on google they are nearing £300. Not good value when the 6800 crank weighs only 80 grams heavier. The 6800 is probably on par shifting wise. The difference between them will be very little out on the road. Looks are subjective but i think the 6800 design just looks more up to date. The dark grey finish is pretty stealthy and its not like it would clash with the other 7900 parts.The blueish grey guntone highlights on the 7900 never did it for me. Ignoring the issues above i would buy the 6800 crank purely to save money or consider a polished DA9000 crank which looks far nicer than the dull matt black finish on 7900.
  • Thanks for your input! I'd like the DA9000, but I dont think they exist in 10speed - correct?
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Both Ultegra 6800 and DA9000 cranks are 11speed. But there are plenty of people using those cranks in 10spd setups. I think the 11spd chainrings are spaced fractionally closer together. But the difference is still so small it works fine with a 10spd chain.

The inner widths of 11 and 10spd chains are the same. Only the 11spd chain's outer width is slightly narrower 5.5mm vs 5.9mm
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I always suspected that the reason Shimano make Ultegra in that odd grey colour, is to persuade people to buy DA!

Personally an Ultegra one would be my last option.
    It would have to be DA, or another brand.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    If you do decide to buy shimano don't forget to buy the BB converter as well. The wheels manufacturing one works really well but is dependent on the BB30 bearings being in place. You might need to replace these as well.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    if you are using a 30mm to 24mm converter to get Shimano, then you could go for any of their cranksets in 10 or 11 speed, so that's Tiagra -105- Ultegra- Dura ace from the last 2 generations ( so 10 speed to 11 speed).

10 speed cranksets work fine with 11 speed chains.
  • philbar72 wrote:
    if you are using a 30mm to 24mm converter to get Shimano, then you could go for any of their cranksets in 10 or 11 speed, so that's Tiagra -105- Ultegra- Dura ace from the last 2 generations ( so 10 speed to 11 speed).

10 speed cranksets work fine with 11 speed chains.

Thanks for all the information!
    To be sure I'm clear:
    1) If I go with Shimano I can go with 10spd (DA 7900) or 11spd (DA 9000) because my existing 10spd setup will work fine with it.
    2) If I go with Shimano I'll need a BB converter.

What other options (outside of Shimano) can I consider that will go nicely with my 10-speed setup?

Thanks,
    Ryan
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    If you want to stick with BB30 and get something that looks 'right' you could go for Rotor 3D or FSA K Force. Expensive to buy new but come up used/barely used on Ebay pretty often and tend to go for a lot less than equivalent Shimano.