SRAM E tap

paul1000
paul1000 Posts: 190
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi, I have dura ace 9000 on my good bike, want to itch the scratch and try electronic, as my frame is mechanical only it looks like
Etap is the only way with the upgrade kit, will the dura ace brakes work ok with the sram levers, pull ratio etc as will keep the crank and brakes?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    edited October 2016
    modern shimano calipers need more cable pull than sram ones

using etap levers with your existing calipers is possible in that you can fiddle with caliper set up to maintain braking, but the modulation will be poor

you'd do better to fit sram calipers (needn't be the current model, i'm using my old red brakes with etap)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You're spending a lot of cash on the etap. The calipers are pretty cheap by comparison.
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    I'd try it first see how it goes probably be fine, just sell them if its not. Lots of things work, I run Sram front mechs on Shimano shifters to stop chain rub which work fine.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Have used RED22 levers with DA9000 calipers. They worked more than OK. 80% as good. I didn't notice any huge negative effect. The lever feel felt a little different and some modulation and power was effected but they were still perfectly usable. Once you get used to how they feel.

Team Katusha use RED eTap with DA calipers on their Canyon Aeroad's.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I ride a Scott Foil - they are like Canyons (as used by Katusha and Movistar riders) in that they have direct mount brake calipers so have to use DA calipers with eTap levers.

No problems at all.

However, if you have any concerns PM me as I have a spare set of Red 22 brakes that I have never taken out of their box.