Alex Peters - Team Sky

Toks
Toks Posts: 1,143
edited July 2017 in Pro race
Congrats, I hope things work out well for youngsters Owen Doull and Tao Geoheganhart. Both Tao and Alex are from my neck of the woods :D
Does anyone know what's going on with Peters I haven't read or heard much?

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    I think they are just looking to slowly nurture him, his experience of top level racing was very limited before he joined.

This is his racing year so far http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/Alex_Peters. He looked very strong at the Nationals and probably did too much.
  • ^maybe lessons learned from what happened when they overdid things with Dombrowski & Boswell in their 1st year

I wondered whether they were over-doing it with Moscon but that lad seems as strong as an ox. Had a good rest and then came blasting out of the gates again for the Arctic Roll race
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Peters was always one that was going to be brought along slowly. I thought maybe he'd ride l'Avenir again, but no.

Moscon, Tao, and Doull for that matter, all appear more pro-ready.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    I wonder if he's going to race again this year? There's not a lot of racing left and he's not raced since the Nationals.

Seems a strange debut season to me, you'd expect a bit more racing, no?
  • No idea. Picked up an injury maybe? Sky aren't the most informative team when it comes to putting out info about riders' lay-offs, you tend to only find out if and what's wrong if a rider gives an interview to a (usually) local blogger or journo
  • andyp
    Definitely looks like he's not racing again this year. Just 33 race days and nothing for the second half of the season.

Seems a strange one to me, I know Sky probably over raced some of their neo-pros previously, but this is going to the other extreme.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    ^maybe lessons learned from what happened when they overdid things with Dombrowski & Boswell in their 1st year

I wondered whether they were over-doing it with Moscon but that lad seems as strong as an ox. Had a good rest and then came blasting out of the gates again for the Arctic Roll race

Moscow looks a hell of a prospect. Tom at Espoirs Central raved about him last year and said as much.
  • Joelsim wrote:
    ^maybe lessons learned from what happened when they overdid things with Dombrowski & Boswell in their 1st year

Moscow looks a hell of a prospect. Tom at Espoirs Central raved about him last year and said as much.

Moscow? are you Fancy Pants?
  • andyp wrote:
    Definitely looks like he's not racing again this year. Just 33 race days and nothing for the second half of the season.

Seems a strange one to me, I know Sky probably over raced some of their neo-pros previously, but this is going to the other extreme.

Must have picked up an injury. If he aint sent to Japan Cup along with all the WT neos, riders en route back to Oz for the off season, and guys who fancy an all-expenses-paid trip for their families, then he MUST be crocked.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Joelsim wrote:

Moscow? are you Fancy Pants?

Grr @ autocorrect.
  • andyp

Must have picked up an injury. If he aint sent to Japan Cup along with all the WT neos, riders en route back to Oz for the off season, and guys who fancy an all-expenses-paid trip for their families, then he MUST be crocked.

Procyclingstats have him down on the provisional start list for the Japan Cup.
  • andyp
    He finished 6th in the Japan Cup overnight. Which is a decent result given he hasn't raced since June.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    If I put "Great - Peters finishes ahead of Giro winner Damiano Cunego in Japan Cup. What a result", I realise there'd be no way of knowing if I was being genuine without some sort of emoticon.
    I then wanted to say something about how I hope he follows in the footsteps of Kennaugh in terms of flashes of brilliance, but then that sounds disingenuous, too... The internet is a wondrous yet treacherous thing.
    Look - I really hope does some good rides next season; classy rider.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,199
    Great result for My Man Peters.

Hackney represent!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Great result for My Man Peters.

Hackney represent!

As (a transient) resident myself, it's nice to see that in this context and not:
    15 years ago: a gun/knife crime amnesty event.
    Now: an awards ceremony for the estate agent who has managed to secure the most ridiculous property price in Hackney.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'll be watching Tao and Alex with particular interest. I've never met either of them, but my nephew rides with Cycling Club Hackney, and he does know them. Well Tao at least, and I assume Alex.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Raced with Alex a couple of times, he was pretty strong - rode off and won one of the hardest races in the SE solo by some margin as a very young rider.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • DL1987
    DL1987 Posts: 204
    Has left Sky to rejoin SEG Racing.
  • andyp
    More here - https://t.co/Z9skUIficN

I wish Alex well, he's a very talented rider, but health and well being come first.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Disappointed for him but it looks like he's level headed and hopefully making a decision that will pay off in the long term.
  • andyp
    PCS have marked him as retired on their website. I've asked them via Twitter where they got this news from.

If true, it'll be a real shame, but health comes first.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I think the SEG Racing Alumni section gives the answer on his retirement:

https://www.segracing.com/alex-peters/

At the end of 2016, which should have been the end of a very successful first year as professional, it became impossible for Alex to be a bike rider on WorldTour level.

Despite the help from the team, external professionals, family and friends, Alex decided to step down from the WorldTour and give up his Team Sky contract. As Academy, we agreed to help and give him the time to discover if he could still be a (professional) rider in the future. During the 2016/17 winter, the personal struggles continued and it turned out that Alex Peters will not race his bike anymore, as he moved his attention to his personal development instead. Alex was a fantastic cyclist but, above all, a great guy. We wish him all the luck in his future life.
  • rollemynot
    rollemynot Posts: 436
    Life is too long to be unhappy and too short too be happy...

Find the path that's in between and live a balanced life imho
  • A shame

But as you say, life's too short and cycling too damn hard if your heart and head aren't in it
  • andyp
    squired wrote:
    I think the SEG Racing Alumni section gives the answer on his retirement:

https://www.segracing.com/alex-peters/

At the end of 2016, which should have been the end of a very successful first year as professional, it became impossible for Alex to be a bike rider on WorldTour level.

Despite the help from the team, external professionals, family and friends, Alex decided to step down from the WorldTour and give up his Team Sky contract. As Academy, we agreed to help and give him the time to discover if he could still be a (professional) rider in the future. During the 2016/17 winter, the personal struggles continued and it turned out that Alex Peters will not race his bike anymore, as he moved his attention to his personal development instead. Alex was a fantastic cyclist but, above all, a great guy. We wish him all the luck in his future life.

Thanks, had a quick look on their site last night but missed this.

Like everyone else, health and wellbeing come first and I wish Alex well for the future.
  • Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Hey thanks for this. I had completely forgotten all about Alex and reasoned he was still racing with SEG. It must be really hard tryig to be a pro. As a Londoner i was hopeful for him and Maurice Burtons son, Germain - that they would make it and establish themselves as professional road racers but it wasn't to be for both lads. No worries we still have Tao flying the flag for young London Pro bike riders