Riprock 20

poah
poah Posts: 3,369
edited October 2016 in Your mountain bikes
Samuel hasn't shown much interest in bikes till now so we bought him a bike for his 7th birthday. The riprock 20 looked the best bike for the cash with QR wheels, big tyres and disc brakes. Wasn't too fussed about the front suspension but it looks nice. Boost front wheel makes changing it later a bit of an expensive operation (hope pro4 with QR) but they went up tubeless no bother at all with a track pump. Standard bike weights 26.85lb which is slightly tubby but not actually that bad (my kids bike was a beast).

Going to swap BB out as chainline is pretty shit and swap brakes over the SLX as I have them in the garage. From what I can gather the stem is pretty light but maybe a bit on the long side for samuel's reach. Not weighed the bars but may have to trim a bit off the side and may even buy a cheap carbon bar. seat post and saddle are going, far too heavy and pedals are shit for grip but will do him for the time being.

He didn't take too long to get the hang of it, maybe 30 mins before he was going without be balancing him so quicker than his brother he he he he.

His helmet is a Bell sidetrack kids.

p5pb14075134.jpg

30209623660_609e77293b_o.gif

Comments

• That looks epic :)
  • Awesome looking bike!

I'm keen to gear how you get in with switching the bars etc for lighter items. I've considered doing something similar with my sons cube.

All the best with it.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    made a few changes - swapped out OE BB, brakes, discs, saddle and seatpost for better/lighter items.

brakes are now SLX with promax 160mm discs (90g each)
    BB is a now a Tange Seiki LN 7922 107mm which saved 100g over the standard lump of metal and makes the chainline a lot better.
    saddle and seat post are SDG I beam items and saved 200g over the OE stuff for £10 (CRC)

OE bar is 200g so a carbon one off ebay will save a load for £15.

p4pb14094649.jpg

p4pb14094652.jpg