Shimano CM-1000 action cam users?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited November 2017 in Road general
I've just used mine for the first time today. Left it on record (HD 120 fps) with a full battery but it seems to have restricted it's video recording to just 2 consequetive 21 minute segments from setting out, then switched off. Plenty of battery and SD card memory left when I got back 2 hours later.

Can't see anything on the smartphone app settings about an "auto switch off" feature, and also didn't stop for a break en-route.

Camera was slung upside down beneath an out in front Garmin mount, so I wouldn't have hit any function buttons. Switched Smartphone app off after starting out to save battery.

Any ideas why it didn't just record constantly? Cheers :oops:
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Nope - I'vet had mine do at least 3 segments - my races are 40 minutes and I need to turn it on and off well before and well after the race. So, sorry, no clue.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    When I had one, the software I was using to edit footage didn't like the auto-turn-the-video-up-the-right-way mode if you mounted the camera under-bar. Ended up recording upside down then manually rotating the files during editing.

Could be worth a try turning that function off, also led to occasional sound issues for me
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • luv2ride
    Cheers both.
    MRS - when you said you had to turn yours on and off well before a race, did this solve the issue?

Have to admit to being pretty impressed with the image quality and stabilisation, but annoyed I missed footage of some good views and decents from today's ride :cry:

Will try again tomorrow...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Never had issues with mine. Regularly records commute home and then back to work with no problem, approx 85 minutes, without recharge or delete of videos.
    Have also recorded a full 2 hours straight with no problem
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Luv2ride wrote:
    Cheers both.
    MRS - when you said you had to turn yours on and off well before a race, did this solve the issue?

Sorry - I didn't write it particularly clearly. Because I'm harnessed into my race seat, I have to turn the camera on whilst still in the collecting area as I can't reach it from my seat. After an inevitable wait, we then head out, form up, then do the green flag lap. Then the 40-minute race and then cool down and back to the paddock before I get to turn the camera off. So I'm sure I'm running for at least 3 "segments" no issue.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Try formatting the memory card to Fat32 or NTFS. Can't remember which one has it but there is a file size limit on one of 4Gb.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • luv2ride
    redvee wrote:
    Try formatting the memory card to Fat32 or NTFS. Can't remember which one has it but there is a file size limit on one of 4Gb.
    Good point, I thought it might be something like that. Interesting that the manual is "silent" on any need to format the card, but have since noticed there is an option to format the sd card on the mobile app. Will try that. Thanks

EDIT: so formatting the card seemed simple via the mobile app. Let's see if makes a difference to recording times on the road. Off work today so hopefully will get a chance to try.
  • luv2ride
    Slight improvement today. Set off with battery fully charged. Weird series of beeps about 45 mins in, and camera switched itself off. Fired up the smartphone app which said battery was very low. Started recording again but was dead after another 15 minutes. Duff battery methinks. Was @ 14 degrees so surely not cold enough to cause battery Issues?

EDIT: just downloaded the files and were all 21 minutes again. Sounds like a combination of 4gb limit due to FAT32 format SD card, and running at 720p 120 fps. Will try 1080p at 30 fps - what video setting do y'all run yours at?
  • redvee
    Luv2ride wrote:
    EDIT: just downloaded the files and were all 21 minutes again. Sounds like a combination of 4gb limit due to FAT32 format SD card, and running at 720p 120 fps. Will try 1080p at 30 fps - what video setting do y'all run yours at?

My Garmin Virb camera records clips of 27:06 1280x720 @60fps, the VirbX records upto 15 minutes regardless of resolution and frame rate. The MicroSD is formatted to Fat32, when I tried it in NTFS the cameras don't recognise the card.
  • luv2ride
    I'm thinking of re-formatting my sd card to ex-FAT, as that seems to do away with the 4gb file limit. Still have to work out if battery is duff though.
  • EBEB
    EBEB Posts: 98
    I use mine just in case I get hit by another bad driver, I use the HD setting. Can't remember the FPS. It will be the one with the most readable number plates. Definitely not 120fps though. Definitely recorded longer than 21 min as a single file. I formatted my card using the device itself and am pretty certain they've been bigger than 4GB.

The Shimano software is terrible though. I use a free third party version (Dashware) instead. TBH, given how rubbish the software is I'm surprised they have the guts to sell them. Hardware is okay though. I don't find the LEDs confusing & it connects to all my sensors.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Are you guys still using these via the App? Can’t get mine to work!
  • EBEB
    EBEB Posts: 98
    Yes, only just moved it from being hidden under the stem to being visible though. The battery life has never been as advertised, but it still works. I’m running the App on an iPhone 6S running the latest OS.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Mine still working fine via the app
  • redvee
    I bought one of these as my Garmins had the same issue, namely the cover over the power button failing. Used it a couple of times and didn't get on with it, the connection between phone and camera was terrible, even in an area with wifi they would't talk so sold it recently on Ebay for £80 having bought it for £70 and also cured the issue with my virbs too. :D
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    I've not had this problem with mine.
    Like you, I run 720p@120fps, but have auto rotate disabled, and I have wifi-turned off.
    With a 32gig card, formatted using the App, I've managed about 90 minutes solid recording before it runs out of batteries
    It's worth trying to remember the beeps, I can't tell you the numbers, but I recognize them when they occur - -4 beeps for stopping recording, then you can get more for out of battery, and 6 beeps if out of storage I recall.

In the freezing cold, like we had Monday, I only get an hour out of it though, and the battery life is definitely reducing, but I've been recharging it every day for what feels like a year now.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...