Smart Turbo Advice

The_Wicker_Man
The_Wicker_Man Posts: 338
edited October 2016 in Health, fitness & training
I'm looking into a new turbo to use with TrainerRoad/Zwift but not sure on what to go for. I have a max budget of £500.

Which is the best out of the following three?

1) BKOOL Smart Turbo
2) Wahoo Kickr Smart
3) Tacx Vortex Smart

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    out of those 3 I went for the Kickr based purely on feel .... it has the biggest fly wheel and to me felt the most realistic as you accelerate, slow down, go over the crest of hills, hit a hill etc etcf .. the fly wheel really helps iron out the mechanical feeling of a motor or mag changing your resistance ..... it just have a more analogue, smooth feel to it .. like a bike really !

Discounted the bkool in the end as the way the bike attaches to it, it uses its weight topush down on the roller ..... as soon as you start sprinting out the saddle it slips quite a lot.

Was tempted by the vortex due to the tacx software, but to me it didn't feel as plush ... personal preference though
  • Went for the Kickr Snap. Great bit of kit and got a good deal too.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Turbos are boring as s##t unless they're bolted to a big engine. Preferably two of them.
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    Kickr Snap gets my vote too.
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,583
    I went for the vortex, but then I bought mine for £225 earlier this year, so had no real competitors on a vfm scale.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18