Picking My 7-Year Old a New Bike

startingblocks
startingblocks Posts: 3
edited October 2016 in Family & kids cycling forum
Me and my partner are currently looking for a suitable bike for our 7-year old son and want to ensure we make the correct purchase, not in regards to the price, we just want something that's going to keep his posture correct, is going to be comfortable for him to ride and that doesn't weigh too much. From the articles I have read so far on posture etc, it is best to have a bike with the correct height of seat and handlebars to suit your child's size and riding style. Our boy does have what you'd probably call an aggressive style with the top part of his body quite forward. Am I right in thinking then that we should get him a bike with lower handlebars to suit his style? I guess then you'd have a lower saddle to compensate for this. The recommended tyre size is something else I'm unsure on, it seems as though the recommendation for this age group is around 16". As I've mentioned, having a bike that is light-weight would be preferable. He is a strong little lad but some of the bikes are heavy for even me to pick up. Can anyone suggest a model of bike that may suit a 7-year old based on some of the things I've mentioned? Again, price isn't the biggest issue here, its more about getting the right bike for him and if that costs more, so be it. It will be a combined birthday and Christmas present anyway. There's a good website that I've come across called http://www.easyprices.com/cars-bikes-parts where you can buy bikes online at cheaper prices. Once I've found a good model, I might check back there to see if they are doing it cheaper, depends on the brand though I suppose. :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3czTYgvYnrFf9J-aKX3vMU1NmFoAhIPjA-ilF9Yz8ji2dsLj0CA

Comments

• The recommended tyre size is something else I'm unsure on, it seems as though the recommendation for this age group is around 16"

That seems a long way out to me. My youngest is 7 next month and has been on a 24" bike since the spring, when he became too big for his 20" bike, including racing in some closed road events in the summer and cyclocross now. He is fairly tall for his age but I can't think that you will need to go below 20" and 24" will likely be spot on.

Usual suspects for light-weight and good quality bikes are Islabikes (linked above), Frog and Raleigh now have a performance range.

HTH,

_
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Don't forget the Hoy and Wiggins childrens bike ranges...............
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    The lightest bikes are usually Islabikes - available online only, but support is good. Beinn 24 or possibly Beinn 26 S... check size guide which is spot on, and maybe give them a call. Islabikes are excellent - my kids have had 3 of them over the years.

Frog bikes are a worthy alternative: marginally heavier but cheaper. The Frog 62 is probably the right one... Frog do have local dealers so you should be able to try one for size.

Wiggle now do a great range of own-brand Verenti kids bike - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/verenti/kids-bikes/ As above, the 24" is probably best but check the size guide.
    (Declaration of Interest: I now work for Wiggle - but I've seen these bikes and they look very good to me... and I'm a kid's mountain bike coach so I see a lot of kids on bikes!)

As to riding position... get the right size bike. If they want a more aggressive position (or less aggressive position) you can usually raise or lower the bars with the spacers, or even swap bars for ones with more/less rise.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    7 year old would normally be riding a 20inch wheel bike - Samuel is 7 in a week and I've just bought him his first bike

Specialized riprock 20

p4pb14051747.jpg
  • startingblocks
    startingblocks Posts: 3
    edited October 2016
    Me and my partner are currently looking for a suitable bike for our 7-year old son and want to ensure we make the correct purchase, not in regards to the price, we just want something that's going to keep his posture correct, is going to be comfortable for him to ride and that doesn't weigh too much. From the articles I have read so far on posture etc, it is best to have a bike with the correct height of seat and handlebars to suit your child's size and riding style. Our boy does have what you'd probably call an aggressive style with the top part of his body quite forward. Am I right in thinking then that we should get him a bike with lower handlebars to suit his style? I guess then you'd have a lower saddle to compensate for this. The recommended tyre size is something else I'm unsure on, it seems as though the recommendation for this age group is around 16". As I've mentioned, having a bike that is light-weight would be preferable. He is a strong little lad but some of the bikes are heavy for even me to pick up. Can anyone suggest a model of bike that may suit a 7-year old based on some of the things I've mentioned? Again, price isn't the biggest issue here, its more about getting the right bike for him and if that costs more, so be it. It will be a combined birthday and Christmas present anyway. There's a good website that I've come across called http://www.easyprices.com/cars-bikes-parts where you can buy bikes online at cheaper prices. Once I've found a good model, I might check back there to see if they are doing it cheaper, depends on the brand though I suppose. :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3czTYgvYnrFf9J-aKX3vMU1NmFoAhIPjA-ilF9Yz8ji2dsLj0CA

Ah ok, seems like the article I was reading was totally off then with sizes for a 7-year old so thanks for recommending the size guide. I'll have a look at the Wiggle & Islabikes websites now and see what they have on offer. The Specialized riprock 20 looks like a nice little machine mind.
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Think about the type of riding that he wants to do, the Riprock would be good for short trips around the woods, but at 12kg is quite heavy compared to the offerings from Islabike & Frog etc which would be better for longer rides.
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    If you want an all-rounder for roads, paths and off-road then a lightweight rigid is the best option. But for fun riding off road and 'mucking about in the woods' the Riprock is a great bike... Be sure not to pump up those plus sized tyres too hard or you lose the advantages of the awesome grip and that extra suspension.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    natrix wrote:
    Think about the type of riding that he wants to do, the Riprock would be good for short trips around the woods, but at 12kg is quite heavy compared to the offerings from Islabike & Frog etc which would be better for longer rides.

weight is almost pretty irrelavent for most part and 7 year olds generally don't go for long rides either. Its a bike for him to play about on and have fun, not for doing miles of off road. He might not even be interested in going mountain biking either.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    My own feeling is that suspension is an unnecessary weight and complication at his age. Our Kids Saturday bike club members are almost all on rigid frames, such as the Islabike and Frog ones already mentioned (don't know about Verenti).

Our argument has always been that suspension may encourage them to ride at speeds beyond their skill level. A rigid frame will teach them the bike handling skills first and enable them to read terrain/surface. Once they've developed such skills and awareness, they'll move on to suspension bikes with the skill necessary to make use of the greater speed they can reach off-road on rough surfaces. They are also much, much lighter. If, as you say, cost isn't a major factor, I'd go for Islabikes - they also have a very useful sizing chart to pick the right bike. they also have an excellent resale value.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    We purchased a Carrera Luna 20" for our 7 year old daughter last year - she is still going fine on it now. She has loved it, I've no idea on exact weight but it is light enough to be enjoyed. She does rides of around 25km without moaning. We bought it second hand so it didn't cost too much either.

The only negative point I could give it is that she found the twist grip gears difficult to operate when she was 7, she is only just getting good at operating them now (easier without gloves on)
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    My 7 year old has been on a 20" Isla Bike for the last couple of years and loves it. He turns 8 next month and has pretty much outgrown it so he will be getting a Frog with 24" wheels. If your son is a tall 7 year old I would probably get a 24" bike now. Isla bikes are hard to fault and hold their value really well so you can sell on when he is ready for the next size.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    You need to buy something a bit big for him anyway - you can buy it spot on but in 3 months it'll be a little bit small - buy it a bit big and he will grow into it - so long as it isn't ridiculous. When mine were young I'd turn the seatpost round then when they grew turn it back then fit a longer stem when they grew again - yes it's not ideal but it's fine if he is a competent rider.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • BigMat wrote:
    If your son is a tall 7 year old I would probably get a 24" bike now

Absolutely. Here is my 6-year old (7 next month) on his Beinn 24 on his way to winning the U8 race in a local CX meeting:

NACPjvoL-tWPiOdUsFBHtCTWcKlTNFAQOtvOSBZWD5ZJY8SlsMieicLze7qxBpSy4l00OQUXwPk6v5GjI8MtT1CNh9quAW7HdCvEmMFObv-znR9gkzKEGP3-q1YeP3apPXo9Seuowz07jhQcs-WwRaijYPghpyS59Ur_sqMciPoG5i1bvc1DHe4P8Md3Zd40WDd5dxOTFUa4HQASCDn2ywGDJqOBq8KQ7HESzXrY3CyGnWOnGLBOvY8cX31lsSfhVWhvS-LnaqaqPQAle62tihzNN560VSfVXyhDJbN-C7JG8tHHORdgSn6H86-RLZPoU6wN2wY9bpY03-Fkzw8eUJkPaCDKgnnBQ4B6FlnHUoORMztRKWJD_x8qGDZyAf6olrjPRV83v29HSUzPqihObYec4x3C-xlDvQ3fCb13ByU__gfp9icNPHvVo0j5wOcNs7JAL2lsSIaaKu47S9Zig1Xk_of4OWWdQ6D8C4pPyu0lyp08_esP-95EukBrjcoqNAUuti-gQHU24SUEU-SIrgw5XcaeG7FvKDAMsT7i1q2mPY9mYH-ccNKAeIPfQjqY_TL1JEe9zR_CrkFaSxjhWimF8zNxXPOxDyJ2Vta-F-PsrDTZ=w552-h366-no

</proud dad>

The seat post is probably 2 inches up from its lowest. Of course, he can't touch the ground with both feet while sat on the saddle so it does depend how confident you child is...

_
  • Steve-XcT
    Steve-XcT Posts: 267
    POAH wrote:
    natrix wrote:

weight is almost pretty irrelavent for most part and 7 year olds generally don't go for long rides either.

Well 7 yr olds on heavy bikes don't but my kid was doing 20 miles on canal towpaths at 5 1/2 and 20 miles offroad on his first reasonably light 20" on some Blue/ and mainly red at 7 on his lighter 24".

He's not particularly tall.... and at 5 1/2 wasn't fit though he is now and drops plenty of adults on climbs. (As a consequence or added bonus I got fitter) but he wouldn't be climbing those hills on a heavier bike

As it happens his 12" was heavier than the 20" which was heavier than the 24" (after upgrades) ... you have a good idea on what I spent on upgrades :D
    Its a bike for him to play about on and have fun, not for doing miles of off road. He might not even be interested in going mountain biking either.

Well you don't know.... I bought the 20" to go on cycle paths and canal towpaths and was frankly surprised when the first "proper" ride after riding 10 miles he wanted to cycle back.. (especially as his mum had come specially to pick him up from the pub) - Within 6-8 weeks and due to local access to Swinley we were doing offroad every weekend ... and by the time he was 6 1/2 he could get on a 24" and benefit from decent suspension....

I bought the 20" new... quite honestly I wish I'd just got a used one and see what worked out .... but that's 20/20 hindsight.
  • Sharky999
    Sharky999 Posts: 103
    I've just bought my son a Charge mini cooker 24", and i have to say im impressed with the build, it comes in at just under 25lbs, 5lbs heavier than the Beinn24, however it has disc brakes and big wheels/ tyres so im assuming that's where a lot of the xtra weight is. He's in the position where he is barely on tip toes but the bike saddle height is suitable for good leg extention when pedaling. Only complaint, grips are a bit naff and the saddle is almost if not an adult saddle.

Crop_Charge17-Mini-Cooker-24-Silver.jpg
  • lofty102
    lofty102 Posts: 138
    I got my tall(ish) 6 year old a Cube kid 200. It's 20" wheels, 7 speed and only weighs in at a claimed 10kg. Comes in a few different colour options. It's a cracking bike, well built and good quality, my son loves it.
    https://www.cube.eu/uk/products/kids/kid-200/cube-kid-200-bluenred-2016/
    720002_zoom.jpg
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730