Carrera sulcata headset

Will_Palfrey
Will_Palfrey Posts: 15
edited October 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi my carrera sulcata has not had an easy life. Having had most of the parts on it removed and replaced i finally came to the unbearable creaking, scraping and that bloody rattling noise from the headset. I took everything of the front end and peered in only to find that to my belief the bearings don`t come out. If this is the case what do i do as i have been off the bike for a few months due to the fact i don`t feel safe when it is rattling around.
Thanks in advance

Can all answers be realistic as i am a 16 year old student with very little money :(:(:(

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    They must come out. What sort of headset is it? Presumably loose/caged balls?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Acfcording to Google it's semi integrated so has removable cups, but cups don't normally wear, so just a matter of working out the type and finding new bearings. They will lever out of the cups.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Bit more Googling suggests it's a 1 1/8 semi integrated, possibly FSA No 11, and possibly the bearings held in the cups by a thin snap-ring that needs prising out before they can be removed.
  • Thanks a bunch i will go and try that now is there any way in particular the headset should be removed
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Google 'Removing semi integrated headset'.
    You'll find lots of guides and videos.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • penguin_of_death
    penguin_of_death Posts: 219
    edited October 2016
    Some of the Voodoos, and possibly Carrera have a headset cup that has to be removed to access the bearing as they come out on the wrong side.

Or treat yourself to one of these in a pretty colour

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-pa ... -8-headset
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Some of the Carrera's use a semi cartridge bearing, it's a cartridge bearing and cup all in one and comes out as a whole and has to be replaced as a whole.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The Rookie wrote:
    Some of the Carrera's use a semi cartridge bearing, it's a cartridge bearing and cup all in one and comes out as a whole and has to be replaced as a whole.

+1 that's what the FSA diagrams of their No. 11 headset seem to suggest, so you may just need to whack each one out from the opposite end of the headtube using a suitable drift / chisel / screwdriver you no longer care about.