What 29" hardtail frame?????

Will_Palfrey
Will_Palfrey Posts: 15
edited November 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi, i am a 16 year old student i.e. not much money :(

For the last couple of years i have loved riding my 29" hardtail carrera sulcata, however i have decided that after pretty much all the upgrades my budget has allowed the frame is next. I am keen to keep my 29" wheel-set and 100mm rockshox xc32 front forks.
Within about a 400 pound budget could you all please advise me as to what frame would be a good choice.
INFO: i have currently found the on one parkwood and Macaskill (which is slightly above budget) and the orange clockwork 100. As Christmas is coming up i would also like to get a headset, new cranks and a bb as my presents. Does anyone have any they would recommend for a tight student budget.

Thank you very much in advance and if we can try not to convert this chat into another topic that would be great.

Cheers
Will

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd be changing that fork first to something like a Reba not the frame.

The Carerra frame isn't amazing but isn't at all bad, the Parkwood would save you about .3Kg and isn't badly priced.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    I might be inclined to agree, the xc32 forks aint all that, a 200-300 pound fork will be a good upgrade and you've got a hundred quid spare which you can put towards cranks or headset or whatever.

I did a similar thinhe, upgraded my sr suntour XCM to an epixon, makes a big difference.
  • Thanks a lot but the headset in the carrera is non removable and is starting to make some awful noises, so i think the frame has to go. Do you have any advice as to what would be a good upgrade?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Per your other post, the headset, or at least the bearings must be removable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Which ever frame you choose make sure you do your research on what parts will swap over with no complications. If you don't then it can work out a lot more expensive. For example if your fork steer isn't long enough for the new frame your looking at new forks which you have stated you want to keep.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thanks a lot but the headset in the carrera is non removable?
    Of course it is.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    If you can get the fork out, you can get the headset out. Integrated headsets don't have as much stuff to remove, but that's not the same as it not being removable.

As for your original question . . . I got one of these from our friends in China for around £350 delivered. Exchange rates may have altered things since then, but it's worth sending an email to ask
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er