Bearing trouble, uncooperative manufacturer.

Duffs198
Duffs198 Posts: 6
edited October 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Got myself a new full sus back in July, ridden it about 50-80 miles so far almost all on trails, last month I noticed a clicking/creaking coming from the rear DT Swiss hub (happens whether youre pedalling or not and the frequency matches up exactly with wheel rotation speed). So I stripped off the cassette and the freehub and made it spotless and greased it a bit (not that this will do much with pressed bearings), you can feel the roughness when you turn the axle confirming my suspicions.

Last week I got round to emailing the manufacturer of the bike and expressed my frustration of the bearings being worn after only 80 miles, the response I got from them was that it is normal to need to replace bearings after this amount of time and as they are a moving part this is not a warranty issue! Now that sounds to me like total BS, wearing out a DT Swiss hub after 80 miles?!

Not sure on the best course of action from this point on....

cheers

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    You need to take it back to the shop
  • It was purchased through a direct sales company, hence why I am contacting the manufacturer directly
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    If you bought it on a credit card get them involved. Section 75 is your friend. http://www.choose.net/money/guide/featu ... claim.html
  • Is it worth getting them involved? Thinking i should take it to my LBS and sent the invoice to the company!
    cheers for the link!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Duffs198 wrote:
    It was purchased through a direct sales company, hence why I am contacting the manufacturer directly

You still need to deal with the seller, that's who your contract is with.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • It's a direct sales company, the manufacturer IS the seller
  • cooldad
    Or just buy a bearing, probably under £10. Life is too short.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Duffs198 wrote:
    It's a direct sales company, the manufacturer IS the seller

I thought you meant the manufacturer of the wheel.

So Canyon? Good luck.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I would just buy the bearing but I don't have a press them :( Its more the fact that the gone after only 80 miles on a £1700 bike and all they can say is "its normal"
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Good luck with getting anything from Canyon, they're known for crap service.
    You don't need a press to change bearings. A hammer and punch to carefully tap out the dead one and a socket which matches the outer diameter of the bearing to tap in the new one. Just take your time and make sure you keep it square.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I'm sure bad service happens with Canyon bur sometimes they get it right. My mate bought a downhill bike from them after 3 months the paint was coming off the rockshox forks. They sent out a full new bike.......He was totally surprised.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Good luck with getting anything from Canyon, they're known for crap service.
    You don't need a press to change bearings. A hammer and punch to carefully tap out the dead one and a socket which matches the outer diameter of the bearing to tap in the new one. Just take your time and make sure you keep it square.

If it is a DT hub cassette side, depending on model he may need the special tool to remove the ring nut before he can access the bearing.

Tapping with a hammer may very well lead to it going in crooked and distorting the bearing well, a better method is to use a vice and use the old bearing to press it with.

Having said that, a skilled person can change a bearing with almost any tools without problem and a dropkick can use the best and still distort the housing and lead to bearing creaking in the housing.

https://www.amazon.com/DT-Swiss-Ring-Re ... B000NOPWJ2
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I did say take time to get it in square!
    I've seen someone beat a headset bearing in to a carbon Specialized Demo frame with a rock at a downhill race! To be fair, he'd just crashed so hard it hit off the top fork crown and forced the bearing out.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Is this actually a worn bearing though. a worn bearing will be rough. you have not mentioned the bearings are rough. creaking could be the wheel, spokes can creak as they rub.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    As above. They will read the first sentence of your email / letter and not analyse the content to determine the issue. And it is in a foreign language too.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll: