The Great Toblerone Swindle

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited November 2016 in The cake stop
I do love a bit of Toblerone now and again.

Very disappointed to see they have changed the shape now, presumably to save on cocoa costs.

Instead of looking like they always did;

tob_1bbfk1q-1bbfk21.jpg

They look like this!! (standard sized bar):

wjt313.jpg

WTF Toblerone?!!!!

Comments

• Secteur
    W T actual F ??????
  • Secteur
    PS my photo says 150g, the stock photo shows 400g, but I always buy the 150g standard sized pack and it has always looked like the top pic. What a shame!
  • Secteur
    Well I think the lack of moral outrage here says more about you sorry lot than Toblerone.

Who do I complain to?!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    That looks more like the kind of things they deploy to burst car tyres than a Toblerone.

Sad times indeed.
  • Secteur
    I'm writing to Wiggle.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Jesus! Don't they realise how cheap and tacky they are making their product look now? I'd rather pay more for the original chunkier version.

Mind you, they are all at it. No confectionery is the size it used to be. It's a way of appearing to keep the price the same while improving their profits. And when anyone complains about it, they claim they are reducing portion sizes to help promote healthy eating etc.

Disingenuous b@stards!

And don't get me started on finding only 6 crisps in a packet...
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Imagine what they'll look like when Brexit kicks in.

____A_____

Artists impression
  • keef66
    Fenix wrote:
    Imagine what they'll look like when Brexit kicks in.

____A_____

Artists impression

® TOBLER_____ONE
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,847
    It's not just Toblerone ... Terry Chocolate Orange segments are now hollow. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10 ... te-orange/
  • Well I'm still annoyed by the loss of marathon bars, juicy fruits and Jiff cleaning product. This is just another in a very long list of changes that has broken links people have to brands. Marathon bars were called snickers in America I think and they changed to standardize names or branding around the world. Juicy fruits I have no idea for the name change. Jiff was called Cif in Europe I believe so standardization again I reckon.

Now why completely change the shape of Toblerone? If you change a product people love and have fixed ideas over you could lose sales perhaps. If it's costing more to make it'll be the same across the board with similar products. Increases in price is likely to be industry based so just raise the price. If.the increase in costs is just this product or manufacturer and not tyre same with other similar products then why? They should look at their costs.

BTW I only get Toblerone when someone buys it for me as an Xmas present. It doesn't really bother me as much as cif and juicy fruits.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    Secteur wrote:
    I do love a bit of Toblerone now and again.

Very disappointed to see they have changed the shape now, presumably to save on cocoa costs.

Instead of looking like they always did;

tob_1bbfk1q-1bbfk21.jpg

They look like this!! (standard sized bar):

wjt313.jpg

WTF Toblerone?!!!!
    Elf an safety, innit?
    You can now bite into it without ruining your gums. :wink:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Redbaron1
    Redbaron1 Posts: 116
    It's a cheap Chinese copy
  • byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    What's next, Cadbury's to add soya to their products? oh, hang on............
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • mcstumpy
    mcstumpy Posts: 298
    The creation of Toblerone is an interesting one. Swiss chocolatier, Pascal le Rone, was struggling for inspiration in 1920s Bern. Then one day, while helping his son Tobias with geometry homework, he had a stroke of genius and a confectionery legend was born.

Next week - Dieter Foerk, Sebastian Poon, and the infamous Viennese cutlery war of 1478
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I noticed the top was 400g and the lower 150g. Is the packaging the same size?
  • briantrumpet
    Hold on... is this a question from a GCSE maths paper?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,316
    never mind the war in Syria or a 3rd runway at Heathrow...

if I had my way, they would have been banned a long time ago. This one step closer to the end.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Secteur

See post #3

I don't buy it often, but for ever I have always picked the same pack size though I couldn't tell you the weight - it's the standard foot longish sized one, which says 150g on it - not the mini or super large variants - so it's the same I always get, and this is the first time it's ever changed shape from the standard shape. I checked the packaging and there's no "special edition" labels etc - it's just a normal standard pack.

I wonder if the giant bars have also changed shape?

Obviously this thread was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, and I accept change, but I have to say in this particular instance I feel Toblerone really has cheapened itself. It absolutely feels cheaper and looks cheaper. In the mouth it now has a really awkward, angular shape and isn't as pleasant to chew.

All minor things in the grand scheme of life, but I always considered Toblerone a bit special - a Christmas treat - not just another cheapy chocolate bar - and I think most people think of it that way - a bit of a special chocolate treat. this change will, I a, positive, damage the brand. I'm not just saying this, but this is a rare instance where I actually wouldn't buy a product again due to a change as it's just not right anymore.

I suspect they will receive a backlash and change it back!
  • keef66
    Elf an safety, innit?

I have it on good authority that the efficient way to break off a chunk is to squeeze two of the peaks together.

If you're ramming the whole thing in your mouth you deserve all the dental discomfort you get...
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    keef66 wrote:
    If you're ramming the whole thing in your mouth you deserve all the dental discomfort you get...

that's what she said!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • pinno
    keef66 wrote:
    Elf an safety, innit?

I have it on good authority that the efficient way to break off a chunk is to squeeze two of the peaks together.

If you eat the stuff you deserve all the dental discomfort you get...

FTFY. It's a chewy mess of Swiss Chocolate by proxy* factory rejected ingredients.

*Owned by Mondelēz.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,422
    Pinno wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    Elf an safety, innit?

If you eat the stuff you deserve all the dental discomfort you get...

FTFY. It's a chewy mess of Swiss Chocolate by proxy* factory rejected ingredients.

*Owned by Mondelēz.
    Better go out and buy a Tobleronenow as we all know they aren't avoiding tax :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Yorkie no longer has enough chunks to spell its name. Its gone pissant in the chocolate industry and no mistake.
  • redjeepǃ
    redjeepǃ Posts: 531
    So how come you just happened to have unwrapped photos of the old style Toblerones ? Is there something you wish to share ?

Oh and don't me started on Cadbury's. I broke a tooth on one of their bars last year ( a Green & Black 80% cocoa) and they're refusing to pay my dentist bills unless I provide my last 3 years medical records.
  • briantrumpet
    Oh, and while we're at it, Magnums!!! I had my first one for ages last year at vast expense at Col de la Croix Haute south of Grenoble, and it was about half the size I was expecting. More like a Mininum. Grrrrrrrr.

The other one that got me was Curly Wurlies - I was wondering if my imagination had made them into enormous things in my memory ... went to Cadbury's World, was 'given' a tiny CW... except they shot themselves in the foot by showing the old Terry Scott advert for them, and they were enormous.
  • You used to get mars bars in extended sizes for usual price as a promotion. Then when the promotion ends the bar didn't return to the old size but was either sold at the same price or the pre-promotion size but more expensive. At the very least I remember the price rise tended to come after a.promotion.

It's a business pure and simple. They've been got to make their profits by any means going.
  • pinno
    Mars bars, Snickers, Cadbury's, Toblerones, Yorkies, CW's:

l4bN_f-maxage-0.gif
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Double Deckers are actually bigger now than they used to be.
  • keef66
    Girl in the office just come back from a trip to NewYork with a big bag of U.S. confectionery. I've tried one of each and they are all disgusting. The Hersheys "chocolate" in particular is vile waxy stuff that tastes faintly of earwax.

A Toblerone would be a sophisticated, luxurious item by comparison...
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    keef66 wrote:
    Girl in the office just come back from a trip to NewYork with a big bag of U.S. confectionery. I've tried one of each and they are all disgusting. The Hersheys "chocolate" in particular is vile waxy stuff that tastes faintly of earwax.

A Toblerone would be a sophisticated, luxurious item by comparison...

How desperate for confectionery were you, when you decided to give ear wax a go!?
    And, do I need to sample it too, to fully understand your displeasure? :(