Price Checks ?

venster
venster Posts: 356
edited October 2016 in Road general
I realise we can't post for 'what's it worth' threads on here, so where do you go for an idea of what something's worth?

I'm meaning an old-ish complete bike, that's been upgraded so nothing really to compare it to....

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If it is old enough, then retrobike website is full of helpful people who will have a stab at its value. Retro doesn't have to involve wooden rim wheels, btw.

Ebay will give you a good idea on the standard items out there, like a 4 year old Allez...but always look at the quality of the product and be honest where yours sits, and don't forget to factor in location because that can make a difference, particularly if it is collect in person only...and then ensure you actually note the selling price rather than a price at any particular point in the sale.

Finally, don't forget the classifieds section on here. There won't be too many bargains as folks generally know what stuff is worth so, in a way, that will give you an honest answer. The search tool works well.

Oh, and final, final, bear in mind that upgrades are not always well valued. Sticking a Dura ace crankset on a kipper will still make it worth the price of a kipper.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    You can always check eBay's "Sold Listings" for something similar to gauge what people might be willing to pay. The only sure-fire way to know is to stick it on there with a starting/Buy It Now price that you'd be happy to take for it.

Just be aware that with most heavily upgraded bikes, it'll probably be very difficult to recoup what you've spent on it; in fact it might be easier to sell and more profitable if you strip the bike down to parts, if you're competent doing so.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Oh, and final, final, bear in mind that upgrades are not always well valued. Sticking a Dura ace crankset on a kipper will still make it worth the price of a kipper.

Will you take £1 for the kipper?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    mmm, about as relevant as the price of...oh hang on!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It can be disappointing trying to sell something that's been extensively upgraded; you'll only get a fraction of what you've spent on it. Most punters seem slightly suspicious of anything that's not stock. Splitting and selling frameset and components separately may be easier / get you better returns

Ebay is the quickest way of getting a good idea of how much things actually sold for
  • venster
    venster Posts: 356
    Thanks for the replies - the bike I've got is about 8/9 years old so not a retro frame - in fact it is/was a very good frame in it's time..and they are still going, but not that popular, which is making it hard to price up.

Looks like I might have to split, but will be sad to see my old pride and joy dissected :cry: