105 5800 chain rings

dinyull
dinyull Posts: 2,979
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Have started to get a little chain slip in big ring when putting the power down, cassette has recently been replaced and chain is brand new. Having a close look at the chain rings last night it looks like it's a bit worn down, it's covered pretty much bang on 10k miles.

After a search on Bikesy looks like it might be as cheap to buy a new crankset than chain rings (£85 crank compared to £60 big/£15 small and sell bits I don't need) - unless I've been looking in the wrong place?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Crikey! 10k is pretty low mileage to have worn out a chainring. You been riding on the beach?

But yes, for the newer Shimano stuff, the price of the big chainring can be pretty eye watering...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    54 at CRC for 50T
    46 at Ribble (52T and 53T only)
  • Dinyull wrote:
    After a search on Bikesy looks like it might be as cheap to buy a new crankset than chain rings (£85 crank compared to £60 big/£15 small and sell bits I don't need) - unless I've been looking in the wrong place?
    You are looking in the wrong place - 105 5800 crankset is £73 at Ribble :mrgreen: (selected sizes)
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I got less than £7k out of mine but it is a compact and I primarily ride in the big ring, I got luck and replaced mine at my LBS for £30 as they had one knocking about but they are bl00dy expensive usually.

I actually think the new Shimano chain rings are made of some sort of cheese!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • dinyull
    Yeah, this is a compact on the winter/commuter used in all weather and most time is spent in big ring. Having had another look at lunchtime they don't look too bad, but there are 2 or 3 teeth which are pretty badly worn. 99% of time they are fine but once or twice since changing the chain I've put the power down and nearly came a cropper.

Might even go Tiagra crankset for about £50 instead as I've just bought a Supersix with Tiagra and (long term) had been planning on swapping that groupset to the winter/commuter.
  • Similar problem to you after about 7000 miles. Compact 105. Worn teeth on big ring, one had actually snapped off.
    Ended up buying a new crank set as it seemed more cost effective. Stayed with 105.
    SC Heckler
    Chopper Mk2
    Grifter
    Merlin Malt-CR
    Revolution Courier 2
  • keef66
    Are you sure about the worn teeth? A new chainring has a few shorter, differently profiled teeth to aid chain shifting from one ring to the next. Are the shorter teeth in the same place as the pickup pins on the inside of the big ring?
  • JesseD
    It happened with mine, when I would stand up on a climb or when accelerating whilst in the big ring it would occasionally jump which I thought was down to the chain/cassette (I replaced these as well), then it quickly progressed to any pressure on the pedals whilst in the big ring would cause the chain to jump, it got quite dangerous to ride in the big ring at all.

Not sure of there are any aftermarket options to these chain rings, the pain is the 4 arm configuration.
  • JesseD
    Done some googling and this is the cheapest I have found:

https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/shima ... GwodMC4MMw
  • dinyull
    Before I decide where to go with this, can someone help eliminate other possibilities.

The only thing that has changed since this started is a new chain, and I put an extra link in this one compared to last (using Park's largest cog and largest chainring method - see below). The additional link couldn't be causing the slip, could it?

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/chain-length-sizing#article-section-3
  • JesseD
    Can you post a picture of the teeth on the chainring?

My guess is that after 10k it will be the chainring but pics will help determine that.

Mine were like a ninja throwing star by the end.

I don't think an extra link in the chain will make that difference to be honest.
  • keef66
    I'd say that does look a bit worn, so a new one would likely solve the problem.

It looks like it's had a hard life...
  • JesseD
    Too be honest they don't look too bad, that said they are worn, but mine were worse, could do with a good clean and lube as well to be honest.

First I would check the chain and see if there are any stiff links as that may be the culprit. If not then is this only happening in the big ring, what about the small ring? If both then I would say its not the chainring, if its only happening in the outer ring then my guess is that it is worn and needs replacing and the new chain has exposed this more quickly?

I would also check when this is happening, are you crossing the chain (big ring & big sprocket at back), shouldn't make much difference but you never know?

Also is your front mech rubbing when this happens as that may have an influence.

worth checking all these things but the most telling for me is if it is happening only in the big ring then its time to replace.
  • dinyull
    Too be honest they don't look too bad, that said they are worn, but mine were worse, could do with a good clean and lube as well to be honest.

Majority looks alright to me - just 2 or where they are almost missing. Was away last weekend so hasn't been washed/lubed for almost 2 weeks now.
    First I would check the chain and see if there are any stiff links as that may be the culprit. If not then is this only happening in the big ring, what about the small ring? If both then I would say its not the chainring, if its only happening in the outer ring then my guess is that it is worn and needs replacing and the new chain has exposed this more quickly?

Only happens in big ring, but will check for a stiff link.
    I would also check when this is happening, are you crossing the chain (big ring & big sprocket at back), shouldn't make much difference but you never know?

I don't cross. It usually happens grinding up slow inclines but happened accelerating at over 20mph last night.
    Also is your front mech rubbing when this happens as that may have an influence.

Will check this also, but I only get a bit of rub in top end sprockets (11/12 etc) so shouldn't affect slower grinding as above.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Can't see the chainring teeth for the c**p covering everything ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • JesseD
    Dinyull wrote:

Majority looks alright to me - just 2 or where they are almost missing. Was away last weekend so hasn't been washed/lubed for almost 2 weeks now.

Only happens in big ring, but will check for a stiff link.

I don't cross. It usually happens grinding up slow inclines but happened accelerating at over 20mph last night.

Will check this also, but I only get a bit of rub in top end sprockets (11/12 etc) so shouldn't affect slower grinding as above.

If its not a stiff link (and as its just in the big ring i suspect its not) then I think you are looking at a new chainring.

When mine started to go it got worse very quickly, a new chainring will sort it but it ain't a cheap fix as you already know, and too be fair you have done some pretty decent mileage on the one you have now.
  • redscouse
    redscouse Posts: 157
    Had exact same problem on my 2 yr old canyon endurace.. Maybe 10k..changed cassette and chain still slipping when standing on pedals.. Best price for 50t chainring was at rose bikes..about to retire canyon for winter so will buy in March
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez