Apple pay on the Underground

greasedscotsman
greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
edited October 2016 in The cake stop
Heard recently that you can use Apple Pay on the Underground. I'm an occasional visitor to London, so don't really want an Oyster card, is this a good alternative? Anyone tried it? Any problems?

Comments

• Heard recently that you can use Apple Pay on the Underground. I'm an occasional visitor to London, so don't really want an Oyster card, is this a good alternative? Anyone tried it? Any problems?

Think you can use a contactless debit card too...not sure if the costs are higher than using an oyster card though.
  • Have seen people using it - looks to sometimes take longer to register than a contactless credit/debit, so there might be people inwardly seething behind you. You don't need an oyster card any more if you have contactless, the prices are the same.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Apple Pay/using a contactless debit card costs the same as using an Oyster card. I have used a contactless debit card on the underground with no issues.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It works fine. I use it when not cycle commuting. It works exactly the same as a contactless debit card.

Should be capped for the day, depending on what zones you use. The idea is that it's the same price as a pay as you go oyster card.

I guess the only issue is when the little light on the reader is red, it doesn't tend to work. Wait until it goes orange before tapping.

I also have quite a cool 'in car holder' which means I have a tiny magnet in my phone case (which connects to a magnet in the car) - this can interfere with the connection so I hold the back/top corner of the phone against the gate rather than the flat back of the phone which works without issue.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've got an Oyster card for the forays I make into London, had it 2 years and just top it up online before I leave Bristol.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    I've used Apple pay and it's been fine, a little slow at times compared to a credit / debit card but works all the same.