YT Capra AL Comp 1 or KTM LT 271

shidevil
shidevil Posts: 34
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi Chaps,

I have narrowed my choice of bikes to the following:

YT Capra AL Comp 1 or the KTM Lycan LT 271. I have seen good write ups for the Capra, thought about the carbon but have a good carbon Yeti and figure ali might be a good idea for durability. I can get the KTM through a friend for a discounted price around 3k so more than the YT Capra Comp 1....He is connected with KTM and it happens that several of my friends ride them, although several ride YT's...

I am looking at this for Enduro riding asits 160 travel (taking it to the alps) when I am not using my Yeti SB5c for well, pretty much everything (it's an expensive bit of kit with many upgrades), so this is a second bike...well a 3rd bike...

I wondered what your thoughts were on spec differences and cold hard value for money etc.

Here is the spec for the KTM and Link:

Shock: Fox Float DPS Perf, LV. EVOL. 3Pos L.
Forks: Fox 36 Talas 27.5-160, FITA 3posL, T, 15x100 KASHIMA
Brakes: Shimano XTR M9020, Rotor 180/180 Freeza
Chainset: SRAM XX1 SL Trigger, SRAM XX1 RD 1x11, SRAM XX1 FC 34T, SRAM XX1 XG1195 10-42
Wheels: KTM-DT Prime ll Trail 27.5" DT / Tubeless & DT Swiss straightpull CL-100/15TA // 142/12
Tyres: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 60-584 TrailStar, Ssk & Schwalbe Rocket Razor 60-584, PaceStar, Ssk
Seatpost: Kindshoc LEV-DX hydr. adj Post 100/125mm / 30.9
Weight: 12.9kg

https://www.ktmbikeindustries.com.au/co ... -lt-271-22

Here is the spec for the YT and Link:

Shock: ROCKSHOX MONARCH PLUS RC3
Forks: ROCKSHOX LYRIK RCT3 - TRAVEL FRONT/REAR
170MM / 165MM
Brakes: SRAM GUIDE R
Chainset: SHIFTER SRAM GX, REAR DERAILLEUR SRAM GX, CASSETTE SRAM XG 1150 10-42, CRANKSET
RACE FACE TURBINE CINCH 1X11
Wheels: DT SWISS E1900 SPLINE 27,5
Tyres: MAXXIS HIGH ROLLER II
Seatpost: SEATPOST ROCKSHOX REVERB
Weight: 13.9kg

https://www.yt-industries.com/en/detail ... ategory/92

Your advice is appreciated. There are other nuances with the bikes as I am sure you will notice.

My budget works out at around £3k or it did before the bloody £ dropped!

Thanks

Steve

Steve Perkins - IPhone
Bike: Yeti SB5C
Car TVR Sagaris and TVR T350

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    On paper the KTM is ahead of the YT in spec stakes - the XX1 is the top of the 11 speed tree and costs a bomb aftermarket. XTR brakes are similar, and you have a fairly high end Fox 36. The YT has a more basic spec - the GX stuff works ok, the guide brakes the same, but you have a great fork in the Lyrik.

The rear suspension works very well too, I found it to be pretty neutral with little pedal bob. But the frames are short. You may have to go a size higher than you'd normally have just so you can get the reach, but this may impact on the dropper post function.

Which leads to... test them. Is a lot of money, see if you can get a ride on one.