UK Cycling Events Bitter Beast - 13th November - CANX

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited October 2016 in The cake stop
This is not a post about taking part. But one about whether a sportive should be held on Remembrance Sunday.
Should UK Cycling Events / Wiggle postpone this event? Keeping in mind that hundreds of cyclists will be passing through many villages that will be holding ceremonies and parades.
Personally I feel that UK Cycling Events put profits before anything else and do not appear to contribute anything to the areas they hold events.
I know that for many Remembrance Sunday has no relevance and they will continue about their daily lives. That is fair enough. But this is just one day in the year where perhaps they could not hold an event. To continue may marginalise cyclists even more.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    I guess like it or not, the world keeps moving & it's down to you what you do. If you take part, there's nothing to stop you pulling over at 11 o'clock and taking a couple of minutes to quietly reflect. Whether UKCE care or not is a matter of opinion. I've "volunteered" with them a couple of times (free entry to a decent sportive that way) and always found Martin and his team to be very genuine, passionate about what they do and considerate of their impact on event days. I'm not mug enough to doubt that they're in it to do well out of it too, it's a business after all, I just don't see them as evil black-hearted corporate scumbags, they're a bunch of human beings that love cycling and have hit on a business opportunity. fair play to them.

Back on topic, they could take a decision not to run it, but where does that end? should no business open? no buses or trains run? Should I abandon my Sunday club ride? Hopefully they've planned their route thoughtfully (can't say I've looked at it so no idea) and will ask riders to show some consideration whilst on the ride. Of course, some Strava obsessed numpty could end up making a tit out of themselves and drag us all down with them, but, there's always a chance that a group of sportive riders will do the right thing and enhance our reputation on the day. Personal accountability & all that.
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • mr_goo
    And common sense prevails for once. Event cancelled due to pressure from LAs and Police.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    doesnt seem like common sense was in play among the objectors, if people were threatening to chuck bricks at passing cyclists because of it, so more like cancelled due to threats of violence and the police not being able to guarantee safety of participants and not wishing to really get involved anyway.

but there you go who loses out more, probably the Royal British Legion whod have easily raised thousands from donations from the cyclists at the sign in and finish, that they wont otherwise now get.

oh well, I note that Beaulieu have a Smart car rally that day from 10am.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Our club rides go out as normal on Remembrance Sunday and we are usually very sensitive around 11ish, often stopping at some village memorial if the timing is about right and/or some gathering is there...but we don't tend to specifically seek something out or stop in the middle of nowhere.

Remembrance should be a personal thing and not something that anyone feels bullied into doing. After all, what is the greater worth: Tony Blair chucking a hundred quid into a tin or old auntie Maud stopping to shed a tear over loved ones that have been lost?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I doubt any local football matches in these villages will suffer the same fate, these will take place as usual and be played across 11am without a thought from the players or the people at the remembrance parades.

The older I get, the better I was.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Exactly, I'm sure there will be loads of events on that day, why did this one get picked on particularly? I've often worked a show at the NEC on remembrance Sunday, at 11 there is an announcement and most people stop what they are doing but a few don't. As Bobbinogs said, it's a personal things for those that want to take part in. Others certainly shouldn't interfere with those that wish to do so, of course, but live and let live.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I once completely forgot about Remembrance Sunday and hell-bent on some DIY mission, blundered into Homebase to find everyone silent and motionless. Very weird indeed until I worked out what was occurring.
  • mr_goo
    Some of the comment/response is typical of what gives cyclists a bad reputation. And I would liken them to the attitude of many selfish cyclists that take part in sportives in the New Forest. Not giving a shite or any consideration to livestock, other road users and pedestrians. Ignorance in the extreme.
    You have all missed the point. This event was cancelled as it's a mass participation event on public roads. Public roads that will already have parades and remembrance services on them. Think beyond your blinkered cycling. It's not cancelled due to forcing people to remember the fallen but on safety grounds.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    If we "all missed the point" then perhaps it wasn't well made in the first place?
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    I didn't see that point made either.

"This is not a post about taking part. But one about whether a sportive should be held on Remembrance Sunday."

The older I get, the better I was.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Mr Goo wrote:
    This is not a post about taking part. But one about whether a sportive should be held on Remembrance Sunday.
    Should UK Cycling Events / Wiggle postpone this event? Keeping in mind that hundreds of cyclists will be passing through many villages that will be holding ceremonies and parades.
    Personally I feel that UK Cycling Events put profits before anything else and do not appear to contribute anything to the areas they hold events.
    I know that for many Remembrance Sunday has no relevance and they will continue about their daily lives. That is fair enough. But this is just one day in the year where perhaps they could not hold an event. To continue may marginalise cyclists even more.
    You seemed to be saying it shouldn't be on that particular day. If it's on streets that have parades and services on them then of course it should be changed to avoid them.
    Can events be held on Remembrance Sunday? Yes.
    Should a sportive ride through the miidle of a parade? Of course not.