Camelbak Podium Bottle nozzle cleaning

musclebeach
musclebeach Posts: 116
edited October 2016 in MTB general
Does anyone else have this issue or is it just me....
Gone on an off road wet ride and the bottle gets Muck inside the nozzle area that I think is impossible to get to to clean as it's not within reach of a paper towel, it's in the twist mechanism itself and the plastic around it...

Tried soaking it overnight but it seems to have got to an area where I can't strip it down to get to....
anyone else had this?

Comments

• Okay scrap that, had it in boiling water soaking for ten mins, it still didn't want to come loose, did it again and got the "nipple" off the main unit and finally all that much is starting to work its way loose!

Not been getting in my mouth but just looked nasty when I was drinking from it...
  • Could a cotton bud reach it?

You can buy replacement caps for £4 too, if needed.
  • Thanks Baron, no, it's a strange setup, the mouthpiece comes off from the bit that twists onto the bottle. Then the mouthpiece is in two bits, with a rubber seal too....the dirt's penetrated into where the rubber seal is, can't part the two parts as they're meant to be basically airtight and a very tight fit, seems like a bad design but i've got 95% of the dirt out..
    £4's pretty decent, hadn't thought about being able to change just the nozzle, easy stocking filler haha!
  • Thanks Baron, no, it's a strange setup, the mouthpiece comes off from the bit that twists onto the bottle. Then the mouthpiece is in two bits, with a rubber seal too....the dirt's penetrated into where the rubber seal is, can't part the two parts as they're meant to be basically airtight and a very tight fit, seems like a bad design but i've got 95% of the dirt out..
    £4's pretty decent, hadn't thought about being able to change just the nozzle, easy stocking filler haha!

Ah interesting. I've got a podium chill one myself, but I've only used it in the dry so far. I have to make sure I mount it in the carrier in the seatpost tube, as I assume it's less likely to get contaminated there.
  • Hmm....sounds like you're luckier then (maybe the fact that mine's see through so you can see any dirt buildup, mine also is on the seattube holder.....but i don't mess around so it easily gets covered if it's a soggy day!
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Yeah I have this problem too, I also have to strip it down to clean it and it can be a pain to get it back on!
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Stick the lid in the dishwasher. That does a good job.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    JBA wrote:
    Stick the lid in the dishwasher. That does a good job.

I don't have a dishwasher :?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Kidnap one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There's videos on YouTube showing how to dismantle it. But the dishwasher works well for me.
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    Elite Corsa bottle with a cap over the drinking spout to keep it clean on sale for £3.15 in Halfords at the moment.
  • It's a bit annoying though as you spend the extra on a bottle thinking that these things wouldn't happen...
    Anyway, i'm not THAT bothered but you expect for over a tenner it'd perform!