Tacx Flux

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
Has anyone bought the Neo's baby brother Flux?

It looks like the go to trainer and only sheds a few of the Neo's features for half the price tag. Bit gutted it doesn't simulated descent.

Any reviews or comments appreciated.
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• Seconded - would be interested to know how it is as thinking of getting one in the new year
  • DC rainmaker rates it highly and it looks good.

Not out until the end of the month.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Apart from direct drive will the Flux have anything that the cheaper Tacx trainers don't? Seconded that not having direct drive is a shame.

I read somewhere that the Flux could be £700. Is direct drive worth this price tag? Thats more than double the cost of a Tacx Vortex Smart !
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • ben@31 wrote:
    Apart from direct drive will the Flux have anything that the cheaper Tacx trainers don't? Seconded that not having direct drive is a shame.

I read somewhere that the Flux could be £700. Is direct drive worth this price tag? Thats more than double the cost of a Tacx Vortex Smart !

Direct drive is the big selling point, and I believe it's very quiet too, although not quite as quiet as the Neo.

Sigma Sport has it on pre-order price of £629.

But certainly you could get three Tacx Flows from Halfords and have enough left for a meal out for the price you pay..
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    They aren't out yet.

But it's the first time I've been tempted to get a smart trainer, bearing in mind I do 50-60% at least of my training on a turbo...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    Has anyone seen any information to suggest if these will work with medium/long cage rear derailleurs and 11-32 cassettes? I've seen a few reviews to suggest that these set ups are a problem for the Neo.
  • shmooster
    shmooster Posts: 335
    Given how many bikes come with 11-32 these days it's hard to imagine that wasn't a key design criteria. There is compatibility info on the TacX website which lists all Shimano 9, 10 and 11 speed cassettes

https://www.tacx.com/onlineshop/trainer ... mart#tab_4
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    I've pre-ordered one :)
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    I was all set to get a Neo until the Flux was announced.
    At first I still favoured the Neo due to the quietness, however the more I looked at the flux and with the price difference it started to really appeal.

However, It has already been delayed from September to October and now November. I wouldn't be surprised if it is delayed again and ends up being 2017 before its available as it does appear there are some production issues.
  • There were early issues with the Neo.

Might be best to wait 6 months and pick one up after beta tests on the public iron out issue
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Neo had early issues but tacx are normally good at dealing with them and just swapping units quickly. Customer service is pretty good could order safe in the knowledge that any early issues would be addressed. Probably better than waiting till training season is done.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,612
    There also seems to be a requirement to buy an additional "Upgrade Smart" to use these with a Windows computer. That along with the cost of buying a cassette to go with it is starting to make me think a Kickr with platinum discount from Wiggle might represent better value.
  • NeXXus
    MrB123 wrote:
    There also seems to be a requirement to buy an additional "Upgrade Smart" to use these with a Windows computer. That along with the cost of buying a cassette to go with it is starting to make me think a Kickr with platinum discount from Wiggle might represent better value.
    Nope you don't need "upgrade smart" it's a load of balls. These things inc Flow/Vortex/Bushido/Neo/Kickr etc all support ANT+ FEC and/or bluetooth out of the box.
  • MrB123 wrote:

It was the need for a cassette and the apparent lack of information on exactly what you need to get for Tacx trainers that led me to the same conclusion. The price of the Kickr before the rise a couple of weeks ago, along with its tried and tested 2nd generation design was enough for me to get one.

I spoke to some Tacx staff at the Sigma Sport Zwift event last week and they confirmed that there was a delay on the Flux. They had meant to have it ready to demo at the event but instead had to use a bunch of Neo's. I mentioned that the confusion over what tools you needed to install the cassette, along with the lack of information about the use of long rear mechs may be costing them some sales. The Neo felt like a great trainer though, and the Magnum treadmill and Zwift VR were fantastic, though I was very nervous about riding. Venge on a treadmill in front of a crowd.
  • Ended up cancelling my order. This thing got delayed by an additional month...
  • I have had the "benefit" of a Tacx Smart Bushido, which was subsequently sold on, as it felt clunky, not in the same league as the Kickr that replaced it, albeit I am aware of the cost differences! If Tacx have sorted their power curves/smoothness etc then both the Flux/Neo look good, but I think there is a tipping point where nothing else can be done to make any interactive trainer just like a road ride.It's all well and good simulating pave etc etc, but looking at the computer or garage wall isn't really going to convince anyone they really are in the Paris-Roubaix! Good effort for the idea, just not sure what it brings to the table, but then again, I haven't tried it so am not going to rubbish it at all. If the Neo were in at the same price point as the Kickr I think there would be equal numbers owning either.I'm just glad I have a Kickr already, as the scam of Brexit related price rises appears to be sweeping across the cycling world here in the UK!!
  • I've been using the Neo with road feel for a while and yeah, it's a gimmick, nothing more.
  • NeXXus
    Road feel isn't a training addition but a feedback one, training has been pushed from the basic gui of trainer road etc which were all about training, to being a game, mass multiplayer etc.

If there was no vibration/recoil from a sniper rifle in call of duty on xbox/PS# it wouldn't be the same immersive gaming experience.

I don't think it could logically go as far as blood,rain or explosions though, might as well ride outside
  • I too have now thrown my money on a Kickr Snap (Black Friday deal) as Wahoo customer service and experience seem much more switched on. I read too many issues regarding all Tacx trainers and don't want to be an early adopter of their new Flux. I've also borrowed a Bushido from a friend and to be honest - it feels cheap and flexy and not at all like there is any difference compared to my Elite fluid dumb trainer.