ANT+ key for Trainerroad

kim10
kim10 Posts: 186
Hope somebody can help. I was going to sign up for Trainerroad and as my current turbo is compatible I can use the virtual power option. Looking at their website they recommend to use the Wahoo ANT+key for the IPhone but as far as I can see it only comes with the old connector and I would therefore also need a lightning adapter, so gets quite costly.

Has anybody successfully used other ANT+ keys compatible receivers?

Comments

• cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Not used TR on my phone, but I suspect you'll be best buying Wahoo HRM and speed sensors rather than having all sorts of adapters dangling out of the end of your phone.
  • kim10
    kim10 Posts: 186
    Should have added. I have Garmin HRM, cadence and speed sensor, but presume any ANT receiver should be able to work with them.
  • The only thing that works with the iPhone is the Wahoo adapter + lightening dongle. Nothing else has been produced that will work.

The alternative is to swap out your sensors for Bluetooth ones from Wahoo Fitness - worth doing as they really are quite good, and it means you don't have a big bulky adapter on your phone.

Or get a 4iiii HRM which acts at a ANT+ to BTLE bridge.
  • Kim10 wrote:
    Should have added. I have Garmin HRM, cadence and speed sensor, but presume any ANT receiver should be able to work with them.

Hey, thanks for your interest!

Most of Garmin's sensors communicate via ANT+, so you'll need the Wahoo ANT+ key and Apple Lightening to 30-pin adapter to connect them to your iOS device. The cheaper knock-off brands for the adapter aren't manufactured with the same standard as Apple products and therefore can't be used. If you have a Mac or PC, you can pick up an ANT+ USB dongle which are more affordable; however, the above devices will be necessary to connect your sensors to your iPhone.

You can learn more about ANT+ connectivity here: ANT+ Connectivity

Please feel free to get in touch with us at support@trainerroad.com if you run into anymore questions or concerns. :)

Cheers,

Community Manager at TrainerRoad — Cycling's Most Effective Training System