2016 highlights

58585 Posts: 207
edited November 2016 in Road general
It's probably a bit early for some of you but the rest of my cycling year will be spent in the basement, so it's a good time to think about inspiration for next year...

What was your highlight of 2016 on the bike?

For me it's easy - summer holiday, left the family in bed for a 5 am start and a fantastic drive through the gorge to St Jean la Rivière (wouldn't fancy that on the bike), loaded the jersey pockets and took the climb to Madonne d'Utelle. A couple of the best hours riding I have had, and still made it back to the apartment in time for a late breakfast.

IMG_2782_zpsgppfpsi2.jpg

IMG_2771_zpso8hwlqkm.jpg

IMG_2767_zpscsdnvmzi.jpg

IMG_2760_zpst96aysgn.jpg

IMG_2785_zpsxroj4qkg.jpg

Comments

• crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    No photos but Mont Ventoux definitely!!

I've waited years to cycle it and it didn't disappoint, the hardest ride I've done bar none but worth every drop of sweat left on the tarmac!

The less said about the journey back the better.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    My first ride out on a road bike in 20 years after knee surgery, Just getting moving was good for me
  • Hoping mine will be this weekend. Off to Mallorca on Thursday for 5 days. :D
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Two weeks following the Mekong in Cambodia - not "classic" cycling by any means but hugely enjoyable
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Ibaz
    Ibaz Posts: 37
    Getting back on a bike in May after nearly 30 years and riding down the Mall after my first century (The ride in +93 miles).
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    Did some riding in Slovenia this summer. The Vrsic pass was a beautiful cobbled climb and highly recommended

13442391_10154162911266142_1004384746560628940_n.jpg?oh=e1c1010f6c02dbcef146a5b7c8ee4b99&oe=589242E4

but the highlight was the loop done over the border into Italy and then back to Slovenia via the Predil, up/down the Manghen and along the Soca Valley before heading over Vrsic from the other side. Magical.

13413788_10154162913371142_8355400620414118890_n.jpg?oh=0b68a7d7532079aec510264d1ede9ca5&oe=588AB31D
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    2016 saw my first cycling trip outside of the South East of England and in to the mountains. 3 days in the French Alps with the Glandon / Croix de Fer climb the specific highlight. Just need to work out when I can do another trip like it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    edited October 2016
    This is an easy one this year: Col & Cime de la Bonette. Do ascend it from both sides if you can. 2802m.

wp-1470086061514.jpg

EDIT - more here: https://unanglaisendiois.wordpress.com/ ... a-bonette/
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    2016 saw me get ill with Cellulitis twice which ruined a fair bit of my training, but my highlights were definitely the 100th edition of Flanders ( riding the cobbles and bergs) then watching Sagan/ Cancellara et al go round a little bit quicker. Also riding with a different group of people, made me understand that dull training and strava obsession is not the be all and end all. I’m happy that I’m now a fair bit fitter than I was earlier this year and that now I can manage my lack of ability to tolerate fly bites or anything Streptococcal , that I can now train properly and do social riding as well a bit more effectively. Next year is looking to be really good. an alps trip for a week, and Flanders and Liege again.
  • Roubaix and north Mallorca.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Tour of Flanders and La Ronde Picardie.

Continental sportives are the best !!
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    After losing the divisional crit series this year by drawing level on points with another rider who only beat me on positional count back, the highlight for me was winning the JCA Circuit race champs the following week, beating riders who are the next division up from me.

It wasn't just the win that made it a highlight but the fact I spent the entire race in the thick of the action, creating splits and trying to break off the front, then winning in a 3 way sprint by a good 2 bike lengths, everything seemed to just come together for me in one race!

Got my name and pic (attached) on the back page of the local rag as well :-)

I'm on the left.

2hx3lfo.jpg
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    JesseD wrote:
    After losing the divisional crit series this year by drawing level on points with another rider who only beat me on positional count back, the highlight for me was winning the JCA Circuit race champs the following week, beating riders who are the next division up from me.

It wasn't just the win that made it a highlight but the fact I spent the entire race in the thick of the action, creating splits and trying to break off the front, then winning in a 3 way sprint by a good 2 bike lengths, everything seemed to just come together for me in one race!

Got my name and pic (attached) on the back page of the local rag as well :-)

I'm on the left.

2hx3lfo.jpg

Chapeau :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    ah how the other half lives......

My highlight was on a dull grey cloudy, morning, being given v signs by physco's in transit vans, as it started to rain I stumbled on a cafe - went in ordered beans on toast - paid my £1.20 - but was served beans, SAUSAGES, and toast - it was bostin - I was well chuffed !!!

(haven't been back in case they remember me and ask for the extra 40p)
  • JesseD
    kingrollo wrote:
    ah how the other half lives......

My highlight was on a dull grey cloudy, morning, being given v signs by physco's in transit vans, as it started to rain I stumbled on a cafe - went in ordered beans on toast - paid my £1.20 - but was served beans, SAUSAGES, and toast - it was bostin - I was well chuffed !!!

(haven't been back in case they remember me and ask for the extra 40p)

Winner right here!!!!!
  • Ironman Switzerland in 11 hours. (First and last Ironman :lol:)
  • pros
    pros Posts: 12
    This will same quite tame compared to others on here but for me it was the Tour de Mon. After struggling with a knee injury for most of the year I wasn't sure that I would make it, but I reduced my entry to the 75 mile option and got round in just over 6 hours.

A great event,
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Quite literally a high point. From the Ski Station at Luiz Ardiden.

2d01f582e92dd62ac1d874aa77adbdc8.jpg

My favourite climb in the Classic Cols of the Pyrenees.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • JesseD
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Quite literally a high point. From the Ski Station at Luiz Ardiden.

2d01f582e92dd62ac1d874aa77adbdc8.jpg

My favourite climb in the Classic Cols of the Pyrenees.

Just been added to the bucket list, looks immense!
  • A man of simple pleasures .... Step forward the Fizik Aliante saddle! :)