How do Specialized manage this spec?

graemevet
graemevet Posts: 61
edited October 2016 in Road general
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/adventure/sequoia-elite/116169

Quite a nice looking bike!

How do they get a GS rear derailleur to work with an 11-36 cassette?

This is as close to an ideal touring set up outside the realms of a triple that I can think of! Have been mulling gearing choices and options for weeks now.

Graeme

Comments

• As its only 48 up front I guess. I have a 32t on a short cage with a standard compact so seems perfectly doable.
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Interesting, the Shimano spec says max sprocket size of 32T even for the long cage; that doesn't mean it won't work, but it's strange that a manufacturer would contravene it.

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/content/seh ... -gs-l.html

My guess would be that Specialized use an extra long mech hanger to make sure it has the clearance to get past the 36T cog, but you'd think that might affect shifting at the top end.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Do they actually come with a slammed stem?

I wonder how many will be flipped if they do?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Carbonator wrote:
    Do they actually come with a slammed stem?

I wonder how many will be flipped if they do?

Yes, very good point. With the seatpost up and that slammed stem it looks anything but the easy going and durable all rounder. However, I think the looks are a little misleading as the stack is surprisingly big (566mm) for such a short head tube (130mm) in a 54. Compare those stats with an E5 Allez which comes in at 548 and 145. A common way to account for that would be a big DT angle and a short racey wheelbase but, quite rightly for something more pitched at touring, the WB is nice and long (1037) which means the back triangle must be fairly large and therefore add a little extra compliance. So quite a balanced bike really...

...although I also think most will end up with a flipped stem :)
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    That's just how Specialized do their stock photos; have a look on their website, all the bikes have slammed stems apart from the Roubaix and Ruby which have that ridiculous headset suspension thing.

Every Mamil wants to think that a new bike is going to make him ride faster and look cooler, but a dorky looking front end with 50mm of spacers just doesn't sell that image!

Edited to add: interestingly the stock images of the Langster Street (which is presumably meant to be used on the street) doesn't even show brake levers/calipers, despite the spec saying so. I guess they're going for that sleek "i-want-to-end-up-under-a-truck" look.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    They even go to the trouble of hiding or possibly airbrushing out the valves to make the wheels look less cluttered.

That is an interestingly versatile bike though. Hydraulic disc brakes, 42mm tyres, rack and mudguard mounts, properly low bottom gear for loaded climbing, tough as boots Cro-Mo frame...
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    keef66 wrote:
    They even go to the trouble of hiding or possibly airbrushing out the valves to make the wheels look less cluttered.
    Or they rotate the wheels so the valves are hidden behind the front fork and chain stays?

Or they go the Ikea route and cgi all of their marketing photos?