E-bike motor/battery fit to standard MTB??

nasha48
nasha48 Posts: 231
edited October 2016 in MTB general
Hey all. So my brother has an e-bike (mountain bike style, but nothing you'd be that comfortable taking to the trails) and he just uses it to commute every day. In short, the battery + motor have performed well over the few years of use but the rest of the bike has been pretty shite (many buckled rims, brakes seizing and a truly horrendous debacle involving the bb). Despite me telling him he's probably better off buying a decent commuter bike (without a motor) he tells me he's intending on buying another mtb bike and retro-fitting the motor + battery to it. The motor is sat in the rear hub aiding power there as opposed to through the crank arms. I told him this was a ridiculous idea and that it would prove virtually impossible to do without investing a huge amount of research time and, probably, cost, let alone even finding a frame/spec to match.

Am I right here or does this have potential? Happy to admit defeat!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Extremely unlikely to be possible. Tell him not to be so lazy and just use the pedals.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can buy off the shelf kits to do just that, it's a doddle. About £400-500, but mid mounted is a nicer ride (I've tried home conversions of both).

Lazy fugger though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Take a look at the forum on here :-

http://www.pedelecs.co.uk

Lots of advice on e bikes
  • nasha48
    nasha48 Posts: 231
    Agree, a bit lazy and stupid really but he doesn't like the idea of having to pedal "on his own" up a couple of the hills when its windy + raining after working all day. Can't convince him as i said.

Helpful info + link guys, many thanks. I'll pass this info on to him. Personally, i think he's better off buying a bloody scooter or a 50cc. Haven't even been able to tempt him to venture out with me on some flat forest trails for a bit more fun.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A scooter costs more per mile and you have to tax and insure......

If he went for a decent road commuter bike it would probably be as fast if not faster than an e-bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.