Brake/shifter lever positioning

mustryharder07
mustryharder07 Posts: 20
edited October 2016 in Road general
Hi all. After some friendly advice...

I've recently rediscovered my love of road cycling after an absence since my teenage years. In that time bike technology and geometry has changed significantly. My issue is I cant seem to find a compromise for the position of my handlebars in relation to the shifters that i find comfortable when I'm in the more upright position with my hands on the hoods and when I'm in the crouched position on a downhill stretch. Is it a case of removing the bar tape and repositioning the levers or is where the levers attach fixed?

Sorry for the long winded explanation, but that was the only way I could think to describe it.

Thanks
Alan

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Unwrap the bartape and move the levers!
  • You can try tilting the handlebars by undoing the clamping bolts on the stem to see if this will improve the situation, however if you can't reach the brake levers when in the drops you will have to undo the bar tape to reposition the shifters.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    Some shifters e.g SRAM, allow you to move the lever closer to the bar if thats part of your problem.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd rotate the bars first to see if that improves things.

I remember drop bars on my first proper bike. I thought I'd never get used to the extreme position. I did though.