Garmin Edge 520 and upwards

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited November 2016 in Road general
New firmware to version 8... today
This update completely bricked my 520.
The update is on but I had to factory reset everything and create new profiles, add sensors etc etc... activities lost.

Why why why why oh why is it that Garmin just F U C K up always ..

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    I updated my 520 from 7.20 to 8.00 and its perfectly fine, all working and no need to reset anything..... i ll do my daughters one later and see what happens......
  • feisty
    feisty Posts: 161
    I've stayed on version 3.0. If it works, I don't upgrade and have no need for any of the enhancements the updates offer
  • cq20
    cq20 Posts: 207
    Not that I'll use the new features but I've just updated to 8.0. All seems to be OK. Same devices recognised etc and previous settings retained
  • feisty wrote:
    I've stayed on version 3.0. If it works, I don't upgrade and have no need for any of the enhancements the updates offer
    Entirely your choice, but usually the updates offer bug fixes and improvements to handling sensors etc and not solely new features.
  • feisty
    In my experience they introduce more new bugs than they fix. I find 3.0 bug free and it picks up my sensors fine.
  • jgsi
    ocd to blame to keep things updated .... you can cope with the nag screens everytime you switch it on.
  • mamba80
    feisty wrote:
    Entirely your choice, but usually the updates offer bug fixes and improvements to handling sensors etc and not solely new features.

How do you manage this? until 5.3 the update was automatic the moment you connect to Express, can this be switched off?

updated 2nd 520 to 8 and it also went ok.
  • feisty
    I don't have garmin express installed on desktop. I load rides via phone app. Phone app doesn't install latest firmware (at least it doesn't if on 3.0)

You can install 3.0 via some site and put an old version of firmware on
  • jgsi
    It's all working... just the process of the rollout I dont like.
    I now have a sneaking suspicion that the fixed capacity of the 520 plays a part... over 60% used , then an upgrade may fail.. dont think Garmin will own up to anything.
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    These updates do NOTHING to change the 520 other than to somehow validate the idea that there is a team of people working hard around the clock to improve the mediocre 520 that cost $10 to make in Taiwan. But if it goes wrong then you've got a brick.

Garmin should sort themselves out, I think Stages, Shimano etc could do much better for less and take the entire market.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    ZMC888 wrote:
    These updates do NOTHING to change the 520 other than to somehow validate the idea that there is a team of people working hard around the clock to improve the mediocre 520 that cost $10 to make in Taiwan. But if it goes wrong then you've got a brick.

Garmin should sort themselves out, I think Stages, Shimano etc could do much better for less and take the entire market.

Good luck with that train of thought then. :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • feisty
    Wahoo elemnt is looking pretty good to me. It is what I may get when my 520 gives up. They are fantastic at fixing bugs.

Since launched they've added loads of new features (strava live segments, turn by turn etc) if you're into that.

http://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-u ... re-Updates

There is a dc rainmaker article done prior to these updates and the updates address most of his queries about it. He's then updated his site to account for these

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/tag/wahoo-elemnt
  • mamba80
    ZMC888 wrote:

Any device is a brick if it goes wrong.... almost all consumer electronics cost peanuts, if Shimano made one, be the same as...

the updates with the Garmin have added extras for PMs and have fixed issues with sensor drop out and pairing.

Stages have had plenty of issues with their PM as have Shimano and Pioneer with theirs.
  • ZMC888
    mamba80 wrote:
    the updates with the Garmin have added extras for PMs and have fixed issues with sensor drop out and pairing.
    Yeah, like over 10 updates. I'm not pretending a 520 is hopeless but it's far from a perfect device.
  • StillGoing
    ZMC888 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:
    Yeah, like over 10 updates. I'm not pretending a 520 is hopeless but it's far from a perfect device.

Nobody has said that it is, but you are making out that anything from Shimano or Stages doesn't have faults. Suggest you read some of the threads on here about both of those companies. Now, I don't like the 520, (I don't get having to press buttons in an age of touch screens) but it doesn't make it a bad device for those that do.

All manufacturers have software upgrades and as Garmin is the lead seller in cycling computers and used by an enormous section of the cycling world in various disciplines, there are bound to be reports of things that don't quite work how people want or expect. Add to that the vast number of devices being developed and made by Garmin or other companies that can be paired to a Garmin and have an effect on operation, and you get a further need for firmware upgrades. Stages had a battery cover that it took them an age to sort out.
  • ZMC888
    philthy3 wrote:
    ZMC888 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Nobody has said that it is, but you are making out that anything from Shimano or Stages doesn't have faults. Suggest you read some of the threads on here about both of those companies. Now, I don't like the 520, (I don't get having to press buttons in an age of touch screens) but it doesn't make it a bad device for those that do.

All manufacturers have software upgrades and as Garmin is the lead seller in cycling computers and used by an enormous section of the cycling world in various disciplines, there are bound to be reports of things that don't quite work how people want or expect. Add to that the vast number of devices being developed and made by Garmin or other companies that can be paired to a Garmin and have an effect on operation, and you get a further need for firmware upgrades. Stages had a battery cover that it took them an age to sort out.
    So you're basically agreeing with me that a Garmin 520, is kind of a bit crap.

I'm not saying Stages or Shimano are necessarily perfect, I'm just saying 'someone' could probably do better for less and take a substantial part of their market share in the longer term. I expected more from a company like Garmin that make the GPS systems for airliners, but clearly cyclists are not really priority for them.
  • mamba80
    ZMC888 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ZMC888 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

I'm not saying Stages or Shimano are necessarily perfect, I'm just saying 'someone' could probably do better for less and take a substantial part of their market share in the longer term. I expected more from a company like Garmin that make the GPS systems for airliners, but clearly cyclists are not really priority for them.

i dont know what your beef is, the 520 works perfectly well, the majority of s/w updates are for the garmin lighting and camera systems and for their app, the connect IQ.
    No one has done better, let alone cheaper, so its irrelevant what you think "someone" should do, because they haven't.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    feisty wrote:
    Wahoo elemnt is looking pretty good to me. It is what I may get when my 520 gives up. They are fantastic at fixing bugs.

Since launched they've added loads of new features (strava live segments, turn by turn etc) if you're into that.

http://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-u ... re-Updates

There is a dc rainmaker article done prior to these updates and the updates address most of his queries about it. He's then updated his site to account for these

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/tag/wahoo-elemnt

I'd second this. Had numerous Garmin devices and the user interface is pretty bad compared to Wahoo. Also the automatic route upload from Strava and Ridewithgps over WiFi makes things so simple on the Elemnt. Not to mention plotting a route on Garmin connect is nowhere near as nice as on the aforementioned platforms.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • ZMC888
    mamba80 wrote:
    ZMC888 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ZMC888 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

i dont know what your beef is, the 520 works perfectly well, the majority of s/w updates are for the garmin lighting and camera systems and for their app, the connect IQ.
    No one has done better, let alone cheaper, so its irrelevant what you think "someone" should do, because they haven't.
    Launches fierce attack in defence.

I own one bro. It's a 3.5 out of 5 product.
    Just an opinion. Chill out.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I bought my 520 last april, its still running on software 3.0 (I Think or whatever was loaded on it when I bought it) It works perfectly all the time every time and I have no intention of ever updating it as I don't need any of the additional functions that came on stream with the newer updates.
  • Mine prompted the update to 8.0 yesterday when I returned from a ride, which I declined by pressing remind later.
    This morning rolled out of the garage turned Garmin on, update promoted again, declined again, Garmin decided to update.
    It took 60 secs to update, then 20 minutes to reboot. Fortunately I didn't loose any settings, but every time there is an update I have problems.
    Building:
    S-Works Venge, Ultegra DI2, Carbon Clinchers
    Race:
    Moda Stretto, Force Groupset, American Classic Carbon 58`s

Winter:
    Whyte Suffolk, Hydro Disks

Retro:
    Tommasini Super Prestige Full Campagnolo C/W Delta`s
  • StillGoing
    ZMC888 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ZMC888 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

No I haven't said that. I've said that I don't like having to push buttons to change screens when touch screen technology is available and that firmware updates are quite understandable when a device is the from a company that is at the apex of the market.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    A few months ago they rolled out an update which killed my 520. Much to my relief, the next day I plugged it in again and it did another update and it worked again. They do mess up sometimes. It seems to be the modern 'digital way'... quickly put out something that 80% works and do updates. I do wish the option to not update, or at least have the option to roll back, was easily available whilst still using Garmin Express.
  • Lookyhere
    Lookyhere Posts: 987
    Got 3 x 520 s, all from 3.2 f/w, all now on 8.0, never had a single issue upgrading or with the operation, we do them all as they come out, just make sure it has synced before unplugging and that it has 20mb of free space - i dont store rides on the device for too long, why would you?

like someone else said, the updates seem to have made pairing more reliable.
  • ZMC888
    philthy3 wrote:
    ZMC888 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ZMC888 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

No I haven't said that. I've said that I don't like having to push buttons to change screens when touch screen technology is available and that firmware updates are quite understandable when a device is the from a company that is at the apex of the market.

Why the hell would you want touch screen tech on a device as small as a Garmin Edge 520? Especially when many people wear full finger gloves all winter? Your one gripe doesn't make sense. It would be like trying to pick your nose wearing mittens.

Yet you overlook some of the most basic flaws of the product.
  • mamba80
    What are these basic flaws?
  • StillGoing
    ZMC888 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ZMC888 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ZMC888 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Why the hell would you want touch screen tech on a device as small as a Garmin Edge 520? Especially when many people wear full finger gloves all winter? Your one gripe doesn't make sense. It would be like trying to pick your nose wearing mittens.

Are actually serious with that comment? Touch screen on the 510, 810 and 820 is just as much use as it is on the 1000 and works perfectly well with gloves on based on my own experience with the 810 and 820. Try reading some reviews instead of coming out with viewpoints based on nothing tangible. And as mamba80 say's; what are these basic flaws you allude to?
  • ZMC888
    philthy3 wrote:
    ZMC888 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ZMC888 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    ZMC888 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Are actually serious with that comment? Touch screen on the 510, 810 and 820 is just as much use as it is on the 1000 and works perfectly well with gloves on based on my own experience with the 810 and 820. Try reading some reviews instead of coming out with viewpoints based on nothing tangible. And as mamba80 say's; what are these basic flaws you allude to?
    If I talk about any of the flaws then you'll just trot out with 'other devices have those flaws too, so it's OK' line. So please don't bother with that defence strategy.

-You only get pathetic basic maps that are essentially useless. Loads of very good maps are free open source. But with a 520 you either have to risk putting your own on and bricking your 520 or pay loads of extra money to Garmin. It's basically only a Casio digital watch with GPS and costs $10 to make, so why do they need to charge extra? Greed.
    -If you ride without a HRM it gets the calorie burn more than 120% wrong even though you told the thing your weight, height and age.
    -Often doesn't add ascent correctly.
    -It auto turns itself off without being told.
    -It's totally unreadable at night unless you press buttons every 20 seconds.
    -The battery life is about 15 hours when you buy it, but it quickly drops to 12 hours after 6 months of hard use and 10 hours after a year.
    -Doesn't auto pause at all. Screws up your average speed unless you stop it.
    -Can randomly corrupt your rides, worse when you have a lot of data stored in old files. Could easily store more data at no weight and almost no cost penalty.
    -Not tough, one accidental drop or crash, it's toast.
    -Garmin Express is a horrible dumbed-down program.

To be fair it works well with other devices and is pretty reliable.
  • StillGoing
    Your whole topic is about the 520 not being as good as something the opposition can put out, yet it isn't fair to counter that the same opposition have the same flaws? :roll:

The 520 is only meant to be a breadcrumb trail be it overlaid on a map background rather than just a line on the screen. It isn't advertised as a true mapping device. Plenty of users have upgraded from the base maps without problem; maybe it's you that can't operate one correctly.
    Supply and demand along with associated costs dictate why a device costs what it does. You'd have us believe it costs nothing to develop, design, manufacture, package and transport the product, as well as pay the staff and costs of running the premises where it all takes place, or that it can all be done for $10. :roll:
    No device gets the calorie burn right and even with a HR monitor it will not be correct. Without doing specific tests to calculate your own metabolic rates, you will not be able to accurately monitor your burned calories.
    Your device turns itself off without being told, others don't.
    You can set the screen backlight to be permanently on which leads me to further suspect that it is you that doesn't know how to operate the device properly.
    The rest of your "arguments" are all as ridiculous as the rest. You're making yourself look foolish and I refuse to be dangled on a hook by you anymore.
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    My wife has a 520 and isn't keen on it. Average speed is way out, as is elevation. Often routes don't appear even though they've been uploaded via Bluetooth. Often doesn't charge properly, won't update to latest software, frequently won't upload rides after several attempts constantly drops connection to ant+ devices.
    Maybe it's a one off but pretty much every one of our club rides ends with garmin errors by two or more members. I know other devices have their problems but for a new product my wahoo elemnt is far more reliable and user friendly than any garmin products, and I've owned lots.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc