New frames

willmtb
willmtb Posts: 69
edited October 2016 in MTB general
Hi
Now this could be the stupidest question you'll hear all day however I thought I shall ask to get a answer! If I have a hardtail is it possible to one day buy a full suspension frame and change the frame of the hardtail to make the bike now a full suspension bike? I'm expecting that's impossible however I'm sure some one knows for sure!
Cheers

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Yes it's totally possible, but the sizes and standards of components change over the years and between manufacturers so the chances of being able to swap parts straight over might be quite slim e.g. Wheel sizes, bottom brackets, axles, hub spacing, head tubes, seat tubes all vary in size. If you stay with the same manufacturer you may have more luck but even manufacturers change their sizing quite often depending on what's new and fashionable at the time.
  • willmtb
    JGTR wrote:
    Yes it's totally possible, but the sizes and standards of components change over the years and between manufacturers so the chances of being able to swap parts straight over might be quite slim e.g. Wheel sizes, bottom brackets, axles, hub spacing, head tubes, seat tubes all vary in size. If you stay with the same manufacturer you may have more luck but even manufacturers change their sizing quite often depending on what's new and fashionable at the time.
    Oh well i didn't realise I'll have to look into it. Thanks buddy!
  • willmtb
    POAH wrote:
    thats what I did.
    Was it easy to find a suitable frame?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I've done it. It's not difficult to find a suitable frame, especially if you don't mind changing a couple bits like seatpost.
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    I've done it a few times and was considering doing it again before I bought the Nuke. TBH, unless your hardtail is top-end it's probably not worth the trouble.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    willmtb wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    thats what I did.
    Was it easy to find a suitable frame?

yip although you do run into issues with brake hose/gear cable not being long enough sometimes. both my hardtail and FS bikes are the same sizes when it comes to BB, fork & steerer length and seat post. only difference is in rear wheel axle. My original FS bike was QR, hard tail 12x135 and FS bike 12x142 but since my wheel can run any of those axles its not an issue.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Done the exact same twice, check out links in my sig to my old Carrera hardtail and the Niota frame the bits were put into and the reframe of my sons Spesh P1AM into a Scott Genius frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    yes I have done it also. I went from a heavy trek hardtail to a ligher boardman framed bike and then to my latest bike which is a full suspension nukeproof mega tr.

You just need to be aware when changing frames around the headset, bottom bracket and seat post size could be different to your current bike which would add a little to the cost.