Giro Sardegna

pedalbasher
pedalbasher Posts: 215
edited October 2016 in Amateur race
I'm thinking of signing up for this in 2017.

Has anyone raced it before (the Gran Giro event, competitive, not the sportive)? What is the typical standard? I'm a 3rd Cat with road race and crit experience, will I get completely destroyed? Any insights much appreciated.

Comments

• I know a guy who did it this year, and placed highly. He started the year as a 2nd Cat, now Elite. In which case I imagine the standard is pretty strong (I'm guessing). I imagine you'll just about be OK in the pack, but seems hard to imagine you're going to place highly unless you can really climb or sprint really well.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    whatleytom wrote:
    He started the year as a 2nd Cat, now Elite.

wow - if I've done my sums correctly, I make that a very impressive 500 points gained during this season..
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Imposter wrote:
    whatleytom wrote:

wow - if I've done my sums correctly, I make that a very impressive 500 points gained during this season..

Can you go from 1st to elite in the same season?

i think as a 3rd, you ve got to go an do it, what is the worst that can happen? report back pls! looks a great race!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    mamba80 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    whatleytom wrote:

Can you go from 1st to elite in the same season?

I think so, in principle. 200 points to get from 2nd to 1st - and you then have to score another 300 points while holding a 1st cat licence in order to move up to Elite. Hell of a task though.
  • Yeah no mean feat. I know another chap who went from 4th to Elite in 11 month. The other thing to remember is if you're starting to place in Nat B's and A's the points on offer are a lot more than Regionals.
    Blog on first season road racing http://www.twhatley.com/