Direct mount brakes ?????

pastey_boy
pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
edited October 2016 in Workshop
Hi
Is there any reason why you couldn't use a Shimano rear direct mount brake as a front brake ?
Viner Salviati
Shark Aero Pro
Px Ti Custom
Cougar 531
Sab single speed
Argon 18 E-112 TT
One-one Ti 456 Evo
Ridley Cheetah TT
Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
Yeti ASR 5
Cove Hummer XC Ti

Comments

• pastey_boy
    In answer to my own question, it seems to work fine, no issues at all and the rear is slightly lighter than the front too. This came about as I managed to purchase what I thought was a brand new front Dura-Ace for a stupendously low price (£35) only to open the box to find a rear. Works and looks fine, will post a pic when I get a chance.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • pastey_boy wrote:
    In answer to my own question, it seems to work fine, no issues at all and the rear is slightly lighter than the front too. This came about as I managed to purchase what I thought was a brand new front Dura-Ace for a stupendously low price (£35) only to open the box to find a rear. Works and looks fine, will post a pic when I get a chance.

The only thing I'd think of is maybe that the brake shoes would need swapping sides, as the slot where you slide the pads in might be on the "front" rather than the "back" side if you put a rear on the front, and mean that under hard breaking the pad could be forced out as all that would be holding it would be the small retaining screw rather than the body of the brake shoe. Although I don't have my bike in front of me so could be taking crap ...
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy wrote:

The only thing I'd think of is maybe that the brake shoes would need swapping sides, as the slot where you slide the pads in might be on the "front" rather than the "back" side if you put a rear on the front, and mean that under hard breaking the pad could be forced out as all that would be holding it would be the small retaining screw rather than the body of the brake shoe. Although I don't have my bike in front of me so could be taking crap ...
    Its exactly the same as the rear is usually mounted under the chainstays so nothing needs swapping.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    pastey_boy wrote:
    Its exactly the same as the rear is usually mounted under the chainstays so nothing needs swapping.
    Never ever seen a calliper there - photo?

On the usual above chainstay or seatstay mounting the disc still goes through the calliper from the blind end to the end the hose enters just like it does at the front, the callipers front and rear are identical.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I guess you have direct mount rim and disc brakes... OP doesn't say which he has.

Dee4life seems to be talking about rim brakes as he describes brake pad shoes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Aargh, good point.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.