So I went for the Vortex

Pedro872
Pedro872 Posts: 67
Hi guys, so after asking advice on here regarding the Flow and Vortex I ended up buying a Vortex a couple of days ago from my LBS as they had it offer.

I'm not very computer savvy so just feeling my way through it now after only just getting it set up.

I've had a look at training apps like trainer road, sufferfest and tacx's own trainer app but I'd really like to give Zwift a go although I know it isn't available on iOS yet.

Basically what I'd like to know is what training app are you guys using and how do you rate them. I'm thinking seeing as you have to pay for them I'll just use the tacx one until Zwift is released.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Comments

• I too have a Vortex, purchased in December last year. Can't recommend TrainerRoad highly enough. Did the sweet spot base low volume I & II training plans over the winter and came out in April faster than I have ever been before. You will see huge gains in your FTP. Not a huge time commitment -- 3.5 or 4 hours per week. But bear in mind it is hard work!

For my setup, I'm staring at an older iMac and typically have Netflix on with TrainerRoad panel in horizontal mode on the bottom. Either that or listening to Sirius.

Have purchased a few Sufferfest as well which are good but I don't think you can beat the structured, progressive nature of a TR training plan. I also recommend the podcast -- very informative.
  • Oh yeah and I tried Zwift and it wasn't for me. May try again at some point, but I found the graphics irritating and couldn't care less about the 'social' aspect. Being inside on trainer sucks so I want most bang for buck with my time -- TR training plan seems like the way to go.
  • Ok thanks for the reply DonBoogie,

That's the thing with turbo training being boring I was thinking that Zwift being a bit more involved would ease the boredom somewhat. I have downloaded the Tacx app and had a little play with that today which seems on but I think I'll have a free trail with trainer road and see who it goes.

Thanks,

Pedro.
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Currently using zwift, the courses become a bit repetitive after a while but its better than riding around in the pouring rain. It has workout modes but they aren't up to trainerroad levels. I like the racing element, although take the results with a pinch of salt, you don't know whos being entirely honest..., certainly makes me ride harder than I would left to my own devices. May give TR a shot this winter. I used zwift last winter too and was actually fitter in spring than I am now.... long social summer rides have eroded all my hard work!
  • Vslowpace
    Vslowpace Posts: 189
    I have used TR for a year and I'm currently evaluating the Sufferfest app, not really bothered about Zwift.

I think I will stick with TR as I have a number of Sufferfest videos already and the training plans are included in the subs.

Their support is also first rate.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    I have the same trainer as you, and after a successful 1 months trial with TR, have taken out a full years subscription.

I had no issue concentrating on it for fairly large chunks of time, as you always have some kind of target during the segments, and I always found it fairly challenging - plus at the end of the segment (If that is the right word), it tells you how accurate you were during it as a percentage, so striving to get 100% kept me engaged!

You can also run it as a bar at the bottom of the screen and then have a video of some sort playing across the large portion of the screen if you so choose - maybe I will try that at some point, but at the mo am more than happy on just watching the numbers, and the narration that goes across the screen.

Zwift seems to be more expensive I think (?) and also I would imagine you would need a fairly up to date piece of kit to run the graphics properly - I could be wrong.
    I have an oldish, probably 5 years, Tosh laptop, but it has a huge screen and oodles of Ram, and that is perfect with TR, not too sure if it would handle Zwift though.

Might have a go if they do a free trial though, have heard some people raving about it.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Zwift seems to be more expensive I think (?)

Zwift is cheaper than Trainer Road, £8/$10 per month vs $12 month for TR ($8.25 if you take 12 months)
    and also I would imagine you would need a fairly up to date piece of kit to run the graphics properly - I could be wrong.
    I have an oldish, probably 5 years, Tosh laptop, but it has a huge screen and oodles of Ram, and that is perfect with TR, not too sure if it would handle Zwift though.

You don't need a killer machine but good graphics certainly helps.
    Might have a go if they do a free trial though, have heard some people raving about it.

It's worth it just to see if the graphics work!
  • daniel_b
    Daniel B wrote:
    Zwift seems to be more expensive I think (?)

Zwift is cheaper than Trainer Road, £8/$10 per month vs $12 month for TR ($8.25 if you take 12 months)
    and also I would imagine you would need a fairly up to date piece of kit to run the graphics properly - I could be wrong.

You don't need a killer machine but good graphics certainly helps.

It's worth it just to see if the graphics work!

Thanks Mark - I didn't research it in detail, but good to know it's not that pricey, and is actually cheaper than TR!
    Not sure how i got that the wrong way around.
    The more I read about it, and watch youtube videos, the more inclined I am to give it a go.

I will definitely try it in the next couple of months, just to establish firstly whether my laptop can run it or not, and I'll go from there.

What do you make of it yourself?
    Do you take part in the organised races at all?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • I think it's bloody fantastic. Completely changed winter riding for me as I like that I feel like I'm gaming and riding at the same time.

I tried a couple of races but I just ended up going to near mac HR from the start then getting dropped within a few minutes.
  • daniel_b
    I think it's bloody fantastic. Completely changed winter riding for me as I like that I feel like I'm gaming and riding at the same time.

I tried a couple of races but I just ended up going to near mac HR from the start then getting dropped within a few minutes.

Cool (Well not the MAX hr\getting dropped bit!), well once I have this sodding cold out the way, and get a bit of base fitness in, I will give it a go :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18