Ride London 2017

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
Being held on 30th July 2017 - Ballot places cost £58

Anyone entered yet?

Comments

• should we be discussing how to game the ballot?
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    should we be discussing how to game the ballot?

I don't think anyone has figured out what criteria are more likely to get you a place. The only thing for certain is that you have greater chance as a woman, a friend of mine has got through every year in the ballot thus far. So a sex change might work.

Did anyone look at this year's results to see how many women identified themselves with a male name? :lol:
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Slowbike wrote:

Anyone entered yet?

Entering the ballot is free.

I've entered, so on the off chance I get a place, I can then decide whether its all worth it. Probably not doing holiday with the kids so will have some time to prepare/get to London prior.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • slowbike
    drlodge wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

Anyone entered yet?

Entering the ballot is free.

I've entered, so on the off chance I get a place, I can then decide whether its all worth it. Probably not doing holiday with the kids so will have some time to prepare/get to London prior.

Ah - yes - sorry - entering the ballot is free - although I think you can prepay/donate so you don't pay in the new year when you know if you've got a place or not....

riding on a ballot place will cost £58 ...
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I've entered, although I wouldn't be too devastated it I didn't make it in.

Priorities next year are longer rides, London to Paris and London to Devon in a day. (Not on the same day)

The wife is talking about entering the 46 which I may ride with her instead. Does anyone know when entry is open for that?
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    I've entered two of us today.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • slowbike
    HD - is that 4 then? Double two?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    It's too early to answer that.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Entered.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 793
    I've entered, 5th time lucky perhaps!? Or will I be told again by loads of people who got a spot that it was their first time entering. Not that I'm bitter about it of course...
  • Entered alongside a whole bunch of friends and colleagues... not sure if I'll be gutted if i don't get a place on the 100, might just go down the charity route again and try to drive myself onto a bigger fundraising total . We'll see...
  • cremator
    cremator Posts: 99
    Can U still get a charity place if you are turned down on the ballot
  • rich_e
    cremator wrote:

Yes, infact the main time that the charities will canvas is when the ballot results magazines go out in February. If you get one of the "Commiserations" magazines, because you didn't get a place, the main focus of the magazine is joining a charity so that you can still get one.

I think in the first year, most of the charity places did pretty much go, as I remember people struggling to find ones that still had them available. As the number of riders for the event has been increased and the fact it's now been running for a few years, I'm sure I saw this year that some of the charities still had plenty of spaces left.

So effectively, if you can cover raising the money for the chosen charity, you should have no troubles getting a place.
  • cremator
    cremator Posts: 99
    Oh ok that's great
  • cremator wrote:

I'm bowing to Rich_E's knowledge on this.

I had a place in the 46-mile event this year that I got when the ballot was announced. However, in a fit of thinking I was better than I was after just a month of cycling, I also applied to go through Macmillan for a place in the 100. Think it was a token gesture of £1 and then a minimum fundraising amount of £750, so it was additional encouragement to get my backside in gear. Some of the charity places (generally the less well know ones) can be secured for just a few hundred pounds of fundraising; I just went with Macmillan for personal reasons.

The people at RideLondon contacted me sometime in June to basically ask me which entry I wanted to go with... choose one by a deadline or loose both. I deferred the 46 mile place, took the 100 place, but in all honesty, I'll probably not use the place on next year's RL46, as I prefer the challenge of the 100.
  • slowbike
    well - that's done ... wife and myself - both entered for the 100 ballot ... if one of us gets a place she'll get a ride :)
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I've entered for the 3rd time. Hopefully this time I'll get a place.
    Shame it's a week after my honeymoon though so I'm gonna be carrying extra weight
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    Seems less stressful just going for a charity place from the get go.

Did it with UNICEF this year after not getting a ballot. Not even bothered for next year and signed up with British Heart Foundation.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    In for the ballot with a backup option of a charity place with luck. Load of guys at work are doing it too should could be messy.
  • Iv entered for 1st time fingers crossed for Feb .
  • Ibaz
    Ibaz Posts: 37
    I did a last minute charity place for the 100 this year, i've entered the ballot for 2017. I'll see if I get a place before I think about a charity place.

Has anyone registered for the Velo-Birmingham?
    http://www.velobirmingham.com

Not much info just a chance to register an iterest, but seems to be a simular deal to Ride London.
  • JACE100
    JACE100 Posts: 47
    I had to defer my entry this year but am now all signed up for 2017. Can anyone recommend a good hotel relatively near the start?
  • I've entered. There are loads.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    JACE100 wrote:
    I had to defer my entry this year but am now all signed up for 2017. Can anyone recommend a good hotel relatively near the start?

I stayed in Excel Premier Inn this year. Very handy for registration, short ride to the start, easy to drive to on Saturday and surrounded by hotels rammed with pro-teams for the Sunday. Under £100 too.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i have a defer place from this year but i'm not going to apply next year, i've had a place every year I think its time to give someone else a chance
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Any thoughts on the time in Feb when entry confirmations are sent out?

I ask as I'm away skiing so may well pre book a hotel before I go to save getting caught up in the rush.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Any thoughts on the time in Feb when entry confirmations are sent out?

I ask as I'm away skiing so may well pre book a hotel before I go to save getting caught up in the rush.

I'd do it anyway, most places will have cancellation options.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Thats the plan.

edit, booked. Just need a place now!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Ibaz wrote:
    I did a last minute charity place for the 100 this year, i've entered the ballot for 2017. I'll see if I get a place before I think about a charity place.

Has anyone registered for the Velo-Birmingham?
    http://www.velobirmingham.com

Not much info just a chance to register an iterest, but seems to be a simular deal to Ride London.

From previous years it seems to be if you do a charity entry one year you get in for free the next
  • rich_e
    Any thoughts on the time in Feb when entry confirmations are sent out?

It's early February usually, so I would expect next week probably.