Replacement pads

Baron Greenback
Baron Greenback Posts: 128
edited November 2016 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

Think I may have got some muc-off 94 on my discs, and inadvertently this has contaminated the pads.

It was last Sunday, after I washed my bike. I went for a little ride straight after (before realizing the contamination), and found the braking force to be really poor.

However, since they've dried out, the braking force is now seeming ok (after a little ride up the road). Perhaps not quite as strong as before. They squeal a but though, usually when gently braking. They didn't do this before.

I now have two questions:

1. I'm planning on going for a ride tomorrow in the FoD. I'm assuming that if they were functioning ok when dry and cold thus afternoon, they won't get worse tomorrow after riding for more time?

2. If I decide to replace the pads, should I just buy the sane Shimano pads as factory fitted? Or are there aftermarket items that are superior?

The brakes are shimano br m355. I am only riding family trails at the moment.

I've since seen a disc guard thing that wraps around your rear gear set, and protects the disc from any spray. I can't find it again, can anyone help me identify it please?

Thanks,

Greenback

Comments

• If they brake fine, then it's not the end of the world. Wipe off any residue off of the discs, then ride a bit while engaging the brakes as often as possible - essentially you want to get above 25km/h and then slow all the way down to walking speed.
  • They've worked just fine today. Just as normal to be honest.

Does anyone know what this brake shield thing I mentioned is please? I'm keen to buy one.

Thank you,

Greenback
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't spray random stuff on your bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:

Umm, thanks.

Do you consider MO94 to be "random stuff"?
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:

Umm, thanks.

Do you consider MO94 to be "random stuff"?

Er ummm when the description is:

Key Features
    Frees Seized Parts
    Disperses Moisture To Prevent Rust And Corrosion
    Provides Light Lubrication For Moving Parts
    Reduces Metal To Metal Contact
    Prevents Dirt Adhesion
    Cuts Down On Friction To Improve Component Efficiency

Yes, don't spray random stuff on your bike.

Aerosols, by their nature, go anywhere and everywhere.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • they even go all over when your not spraying directly on the bike too :(

1st outing on my fs made it dirty, so cleaned it up afterwards & set to spraying muc-off bike spray onto a cloth a little ways away from the bike & wiping down the frame afterwards ( to avoid getting the PTFE tye spray all over the brakes etc )

low & behold a well timed gust of wind right when i was blasting the cloth blew the spray all over both front & back brakes & they were shocking crap afterwards ( no bite & screamed like hell while not slowing the bike down much too lol )

much profanity filled the air & off came the wheels & out came another cloth & the bottle of IPA to clean up the disks. also gave the pads a goingover too but did not expect to get all of it out of them ( had the blowtorch handy for round 2 on the pads if needed but round 1 seemed to do the trick ). worked well enough to make them silent & work well again so i was happy.

1st outing on my fs made it dirty, so cleaned it up afterwards & set to spraying muc-off bike spray onto a cloth a little ways away from the bike & wiping down the frame afterwards ( to avoid getting the PTFE tye spray all over the brakes etc )

low & behold a well timed gust of wind right when i was blasting the cloth blew the spray all over both front & back brakes & they were shocking crap afterwards ( no bite & screamed like hell while not slowing the bike down much too lol )

much profanity filled the air & off came the wheels & out came another cloth & the bottle of IPA to clean up the disks. also gave the pads a goingover too but did not expect to get all of it out of them ( had the blowtorch handy for round 2 on the pads if needed but round 1 seemed to do the trick ). worked well enough to make them silent & work well again so i was happy.

I see. I'll keep that stuff well away from the bike then. I assumed that I should lubricate the derailleur mechanism, and other moving parts after washing. I'll watch some videos on exactly what to do instead of assuming :oops:

I need to invest in some brake cleaner too. I think I got lucky this time with not needing any.

Many thanks for the reply.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I bought my bike used and the seller had sprayed muc-off lubricant/cleaner absolutely everywhere in an effort to clean the bike up for sale. The brakes were non-existant and squealed like a banshee. I removed the pads, cleaned them with methylated spirits, then sanded them with a fine grade paper and then cleaned them again with methylated spirits as well as the discs. Re-fitted them and the difference was like night and day and they've been perfect since.

I see. I'll keep that stuff well away from the bike then. I assumed that I should lubricate the derailleur mechanism, and other moving parts after washing. I'll watch some videos on exactly what to do instead of assuming :oops:

I need to invest in some brake cleaner too. I think I got lucky this time with not needing any.

Many thanks for the reply.

nothing wrong with it in that mannor i suppose ( used carefully its a good water repellant etc = may not be the best lube but it will help get any excess water out )

but a few precautions are needed if you do it like that, either off with the wheels n put em out of the way while also covering the caliper with a cloth etc or spray the cleaning tools with muc-off well away from the bike & then set to without the stuff going all over where you dont want it etc.

but as said, it may not be the best lube choice for that task anyway - my personal preference ( right or wrong i dont know as everyone will have differing opinions etc ) is oiling up the moving bits of the mech ( front or rear ) with just the same oil from a dropper bottle i use on the chain ( currently muc-off wet lube ) ( stiff brush with muc-off bike cleaner sprayed on the brush to clean up the mech body & jocky wheels while pedalling backwards etc if they have heavy deposits that dont shift with a quick microfibre cloth clean up etc then lubed up affter being cloth dried etc )
  • cooldad wrote:

Er ummm when the description is:

Key Features
    Frees Seized Parts
    Disperses Moisture To Prevent Rust And Corrosion
    Provides Light Lubrication For Moving Parts
    Reduces Metal To Metal Contact
    Prevents Dirt Adhesion
    Cuts Down On Friction To Improve Component Efficiency

Yes, don't spray random stuff on your bike.

Aerosols, by their nature, go anywhere and everywhere.

I think a better choice of wording would be... 'Don''t spray stuff randomly on your bike.'

MO94 isn't just a random household aerosol. It is marketed as a bicycle spray which is easy for a new user to make some mistakes with.

I agree however it should be used with care and not just sprayed everywhere on the bike. It's best for displacing water from things like deralliuers and cables after a wash and perhaps serves OK as a light lube for such parts. Definitely keep it well away from brakes and use a microfibre to shield other bits form overspray or to mop up any excess, job done...
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    Muc-off should not affect disc brake function.
    I've used it on every part of our bikes for years with no issue even spraying directly onto hubs.
    or maybe I'm just lucky.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • cooldad
    There's the pink bike cleaner, which is fine, and the bike spray, which is not.

Read the whole thread.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • plugp7
    plugp7 Posts: 298
    cooldad wrote:

Read the whole thread.

I stand corrected.
    Cotic Soul 26 inch. Whyte T130
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cooldad wrote:

Read the whole thread.

I'd not spray the pink stuff anywhere near brake pads either or in fact anywhere near my bike
  • cooldad
    Only took you a month to decide that? Well done.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • POAH wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Read the whole thread.

I'd not spray the pink stuff anywhere near brake pads either or in fact anywhere near my bike

Do you use an alternative? Or just water?