Baggy shorts ?

Meguinness
Meguinness Posts: 8
edited January 2017 in MTB beginners
Back on the seat of a MTB after only 20 years :lol:
looking for a decent brand of baggy shorts or padded Lycra shorts that will not self destruct at the first ride,
Amazon UK is full of junk , finding some genuine reviews is getting difficult.
Any brands suggestions? What u guys prefer...just purchasing padded Lycra shorts and be free to chose the baggy shorts separate or just all in one ?
Thanx

Comments

• doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    I use Lycra bib shorts under cheap Tesco cargo shorts.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Endura Hummvee baggy shorts I wear, had them for a few years and still going strong.

Not that great for this time of year though as the material isn't waterproof.

Try places like go outdoors should find something in there.
  • I've started buying baggies without liners and buying liners/bib-shorts seperately.
    I normally just buy the own-brand liners from Wiggle - they do as good a job as the others.
    As for brands - I prefer Altura (they are a perfect fit for me - also do a waterproof short), or Endura (although I find their sizing on the small size - I always go one size up).
    I would recommend using Wiggle or Chain Reaction Cycles online to look for some brand names. They tend to offer pretty good value for money too.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Thanks you guys
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Endura Humvees are good. Royal 247 are excellent hardwearing shorts. But my favourites are Pearl Izumi Launch and the liner in them is just about the best I've ever used.

I would add that shorts, like helmets, gloves and just about every other item of clothing, are all about fit and are very personal as a result so try a few different ones (I don't get on with a few Pearl Izumi "fits" for example).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • sam-323
    sam-323 Posts: 49
    I've had endura and altrua baggys before and they where good. As has been said each to there own. I recently got a pair from one industries and can't find a fault yet. After a good few rides including going over exmoor a few times there holding up well and the price wasn't too bad. I will be getting another pair.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod132747
  • AlShack
    AlShack Posts: 38
    Cheap lycra fitted (and padded) shorts under some Gore (padded) baggies. The Gore ones aren't cheap, but mine have lasted 3 years abuse (say 150 rides, in all weathers) and are only just showing signs of needing to be retired.

In really crappy (i.e. cold) weather, some padded leggings underneath the Gore baggies does the job.
  • I'm using Hummvees 3/4 and MT500 sprays, with an Endura liner (clip in) and boxer (smaller, no clips). Both great, but the MT500s are newish so not seen much action yet.
  • armsterarm
    armsterarm Posts: 9
    edited October 2016
    I used to have this Pearl Izumi Elevate Cycling Shorts and it's really comfortable to wear especially for a long ride. :D
  • Pretty much what most people said here - buy separate padded shorts or boxers and wear whatever over that.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    I am newly returning to MTB from road riding background. You could wear bibs. Dont understand the need to wear baggies over lycra. Of course its individuals choice. I tried baggies years back, I find mud/grit is kept out and theres less dreaded chafe with bibs and less flapping material to catch on seat. I mitigate the uncool non MTB dress code factor by wearing looser cut jerseys than I would on the road bike. I have took flack for bibs from other MTB riders, wear whats best for you.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    kirkee wrote:
    Dont understand the need to wear baggies over lycra.
    It's so we don't look like a roadie who's lost. ;)
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Funny, I did get lost in a wooded trail area not long back, did 10km extra just finding my way out. Ill keep wearing bibs then!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • I used to be totally against bibs but once i tried them i realised they are so much more comfortable than just shorts or anything similar. Find a pair of bibs you get on with and then just buy some cheap shorts to go over them and no one need know what you are wearing underneath!
  • Bib shorts and then MTB shorts over the top. I hate baggy shorts as they always catch on the bike (usually the quick release on the saddle)
    Can't find anything decent, so in the summer, just wear cargo shorts
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    I wear these with cheap cycling shorts underneath.

https://www.bikeinn.com/bike/endura-zym ... lsrc=aw.ds
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • Well the MT500s have seen a fair amount of action now, and a proper god muddy night XC race and they are ace.
    Little bit noisy if I'm honest but not enough to become a pain. I am considering going down the bib short/baggies on top for next winter to see if they are any better for mud splatter and warmth.
  • But my favourites are Pearl Izumi Launch and the liner in them is just about the best I've ever used.

Are those launch kickers? If not, I can't find them. You sold them to me.