What to expect from a bike from 2013?

olet
olet Posts: 5
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all

As mentioned in another post I have been looking at a De Rosa 838 with Campagnolo Chorus. It is a used bike from 2013 and it has apparently been driving for about 3.000 miles.

The main reason for me to be in doubt of the bike is that I do not know how much has happened in this field for the last three years.

I really like the De Rosas but they are above my budget if I should buy one from new. That's why I am considering to buy a used bike.

Can you guys say anything about the carbon frames and the gear groups? Are bikes from 2013 still so much "up-to date" that they are worth it? For comparing I have seen a De Rosa Planet from new with Shimano 105 for about 1.5 times the price I have to spend on the used 838.
The Planet are above my budget so it is mainly to state the price difference. Would you guys say the offer for the 838 are a good one or should I expect it to be cheaper?

Comments

• Older bikes definitely go slower over time. For instance, mine is a 2012 Giant Defy, and until very recently I was able to get round my usual 15 mile short loop in about 55 minutes.

However, I was ill a few weeks back and I rode yesterday for the first time in about a month. The bike was a lot slower - it took me an hour and 4 minutes to ride the loop, and the bike felt slow and heavy.

Clearly I need a new one :D
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bikes from 2013 all have solid wooden wheels and groupsets made out of cast iron. The frames were all hand-carved from rock using flint tools.

Seriously, your question is simply not an issue. If you like it, but it.
  • 2013 is fine. 2012 should be avoided though. What a year that was.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • 2013 is fine. 2012 should be avoided though. What a year that was.
    :D
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm afraid I havent a vintage chart with De Rosa on...

If its three years old - then it should at least be half the price of a new one.
  • cougie wrote:
    If its three years old - then it should at least be half the price of a new one.
    You mean "at most", I guess?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Sorry - yes at most.
  • olet
    olet Posts: 5
    Thanks guys.
    I got the point :-)

Anyways thanks for the comments. I was asking you because I am in a total unknown area. As you could imagine the bike store argued that a three year old bike are quite old and the salesman used the arguments for showing the bikes he would like to sell me.

So actually I find your comments both fun and useful.